Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

front dif rebuild?!? help!

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mighty Thor 
#1 ·
ok first time trying to rebuild a front dif. its off a 03 wj dana 30. i have it all removed off the body and have the diff w axle housing in my garage. just looking at it seems rough. :confused: :(
i need some kind of help before i begin...what to/ not to do
thanks

#4 ·
Unless you are going to replace the gears you can probably do all the rebuild yourself. I presume you are mostly talking about new bearings, seals, u-joints, ball joints etc. You can do google searches on how to rebuild Dana front differentials and find tons of info. The basics are the same with some differences for model or year.
Generally speaking you pull the brakes apart, pull the axles, pull the carrier out, pull the steering knuckles apart, pull the axle seals out, then start replacing the worn stuff and reinstalling in reverse order. Most critical part is to make sure that the carrier and associated parts go back in just like they came out, no mixing up parts from side to side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.