Front brake/rotor questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front brake/rotor questions

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 11-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
Kkranghkar

Front brake/rotor questions

Hi,

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and (of course), my rotors keep getting warped. I already had one replaced, and everything was all right for a while, but now the vibration is returning under braking, especially from higher speeds.

I did a search, but I was wondering if you guys can answer some specific questions:

1) Aftermarket pads/rotors:

I saw a lot of people recommending Stillen, and Brembo, and slotting. How much would rotors like this run, and would I have to get them online? If I go to a standard MIDAS, what kind of rotors should I ask THEM for, and how much should I expect to pay there?

As a side note, I was told by the dealer that the stock rotors are around $160 for a pair of fronts (yes I know they're crap :P).

2) Brake pads

The dealer was telling me that a set of two stock brake pads is $140!!! That's absolutely ridiculous, right? On all my other vehicles, pads ran at most $80 a pair, and that was for high-performance.... Any suggestions on places to buy, or brands?
Ideally I'd like to get them at an actual store, not online, but if there's good deals...

3) The new Chrysler calipers:

My dealer was suggesting that I absolutely have to upgrade to the new redesigned calipers, which supposedly provide more pad float. How important has this been in your guys' experience? Will I do fine with old calipers and nice new slotted rotors and good pads?

4) Labor times:

How much should I expect to pay for the various tasks in labor?
. rotor resurfacing + pad replacement
. rotor replacement + pad replacement
. caliper replacement (Ugh)

Thanks a lot in advance, guys!

Good to be here Let the healing begin!

Unread 11-26-2002, 06:46 AM   #2
Lennyd69

Well I work at a Jeep Dealer in parts now I'm not going to say that Dealer parts are the best but I will tell you that is all I use on my jeep and I have never had any problems with the rotors or brakes. What I wanted to coment on was the prices you were told by the Dealer you went to. First of all the pads the quoted you on must have been Factory pads and yes they are really expensive but there is another line called value line and comes with the same warranty as the new one and they sell at 47.00 retail for your jeep. As for the rotors when I looked them up I come up with 36.90 a rotor and thats 73.80 for the pair. Now I'm not sure where they are getting there prices from but maybe you want to look at another dealer and get some prices from them before you buy. Hope I'm not out of place by letting you know all of this but I know I hate getting riped off just like the next guy.
Thanks and thats just my $0.02
Lenny
Lennyd69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Chris_L

I was under the impression that the TSB recall for the WJ brakes replaces the rotors and new calipers and the dealers expense.

Where in the south bay are you? I am in the Torrance area.
Unread 11-26-2002, 11:47 AM   #4
Kkranghkar

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_L
I was under the impression that the TSB recall for the WJ brakes replaces the rotors and new calipers and the dealers expense.

Where in the south bay are you? I am in the Torrance area.
I'm in the San Jose area....

Been looking around online, a lot of people recommend really high-performance cross-drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors as opposed to dealer's stock.... I think the warping only happens on later Chrysler models, 1999+, not on the older Jeeps....

Those recommended aftermarket rotors are really expensive though, $100ish each.... Tough decisions to make
Unread 11-26-2002, 06:17 PM   #5
vfracer

Hi Kkranghkar:

I replaced my rotors with Powerslots from www.performanceproducts.com. They are $95.85 each. I bought a set of metal matrix pads from Stillen...can't seem to find them on their website right now.

I did all the work myself...it's not hard...just a little time consuming. If you have a jack, jack stands and basic tools, you should be able to do the job. It'll probably take you a good afternoon so have some beer handy.

I too had warped rotors and squealing brake pads. The slotted rotors fixed the warp problem, but mysteriously, the squealing is still occuring. Very weird. I even put some of that no squeal stuff on the back of the pads. I'm pretty satisfied with the setup.

btw, Chris_L, I'm in the Torrance area as well. Patriot Blue 2001 GC with a UCLA sticker on the rear glass.

Last edited by vfracer; 11-26-2002 at 06:22 PM..
vfracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #6
Hank

You could also condsider Baer-very good brake brand.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2002, 04:52 PM   #7
Lukester

Well Shock! hooror!

Here's another Brit with rotor (disk) issues on his late model Grand Cherokee...

So is there a recall for early 2nd generation Grand cherokees? Mine is an early 1999 model V8 Limited. My breaks squeal like a pig at a hillbilly summer festival and I'm sure the front rotors (disks) are warped, the brake judder is crazy! Is there an official recall? I bought my Grand Cherokee as an approved used car after trading in my 1994 Cherokee, it is still under warranty! If i can get new brakes out of the dealer then I want to know about it!! As it is, the car is going back to the dealers next week when I get the Ferrari back from service, the Alfa is in for the next two weeks otherwise the Jeep would be back with the dealer right now.

Funny, I thought with 3 cars I'd never have be in a situation where all the cars where in the shop... That's what happens when you buy Italian cars I guess!

-1999 Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 Limited
-1998 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V
-1997 Ferrari F355 GTS

-1994 Cherokee Sport - RIP - Gone but not forgotten.
Lukester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2002, 06:05 PM   #8
ZR7 Ken

Any TSB is only a suggested guide to a repair. TSB's are not necessarily warranteed, unless the vehicle is still in warranty. Also, 3/36 doesn't mean everything is covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Brakes are usually covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the original in-service date of the vehicle.
So far, the updated Mopar caliper package has been a definite improvement over the originals. I have yet to see a WJ return with a front brake pulsation after the new calipers and new rotors.
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
2Grand4s

Do Not Overlook the Obvious

I have a 94 Grand V-8 Limited with 204,000 miles that I bought New in Dec. 93, and a one year old 2004 Overland, My first JEEP pre-dated the Grand but was Top-Of-The-Line in 1987 Cherokee Laredo when AMC first introduced the 4.0 litre 6 for the first time. NONE, I repeat, NONE have ever had a warped rotor, ever !

I attribute that fact to two things, I never 'turn down' or resurface a Rotor (disc), they are not designed for it. And perhaps most important of all I Torque the lug nuts by hand, personally everytime they are removed for any reason with my own torque wrench set at 85 ft.lbs. Never trust anyone with an air driven power tool to do this properly. Not Dealer shops, tire stores, or anyone else.

. . . . OR you can keep buying rotors and pads !
2Grand4s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

Rotors and Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkranghkar
Hi,

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and (of course), my rotors keep getting warped. I already had one replaced, and everything was all right for a while, but now the vibration is returning under braking, especially from higher speeds.

I did a search, but I was wondering if you guys can answer some specific questions:

1) Aftermarket pads/rotors:

I saw a lot of people recommending Stillen, and Brembo, and slotting. How much would rotors like this run, and would I have to get them online? If I go to a standard MIDAS, what kind of rotors should I ask THEM for, and how much should I expect to pay there?

As a side note, I was told by the dealer that the stock rotors are around $160 for a pair of fronts (yes I know they're crap :P).

2) Brake pads

The dealer was telling me that a set of two stock brake pads is $140!!! That's absolutely ridiculous, right? On all my other vehicles, pads ran at most $80 a pair, and that was for high-performance.... Any suggestions on places to buy, or brands?
Ideally I'd like to get them at an actual store, not online, but if there's good deals...

3) The new Chrysler calipers:

My dealer was suggesting that I absolutely have to upgrade to the new redesigned calipers, which supposedly provide more pad float. How important has this been in your guys' experience? Will I do fine with old calipers and nice new slotted rotors and good pads?

4) Labor times:

How much should I expect to pay for the various tasks in labor?
. rotor resurfacing + pad replacement
. rotor replacement + pad replacement
. caliper replacement (Ugh)

Thanks a lot in advance, guys!

Good to be here Let the healing begin!
Not sure about a 2000 model,but it cost me a total of 66.52 at Advance Auto for front lifetime pads and 1 year replacement rotors for my 97 GC.
Unread 02-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
kachina_labala

I had my 99 covered under the TSB. It replaces the calipers only. Pads and rotors are considered wear items. The dealer pays for the labor you pay for the parts (less the calipers).

I bought my rotors from the tirerack and made them put them on. I reccomend getting matching pads. I didnt and Im sorry I didnt.

99 grand brakes

Slotted dimpled rotors. I hear that the cross drilled rotors tend to crack. Dimpled do not. Who knows though.
Anyway Im happy with the ebc rotors.
kachina_labala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #12
JeepingHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfracer
Hi Kkranghkar:

I replaced my rotors with Powerslots from www.performanceproducts.com. They are $95.85 each. I bought a set of metal matrix pads from Stillen...can't seem to find them on their website right now.

I did all the work myself...it's not hard...just a little time consuming. If you have a jack, jack stands and basic tools, you should be able to do the job. It'll probably take you a good afternoon so have some beer handy.

I too had warped rotors and squealing brake pads. The slotted rotors fixed the warp problem, but mysteriously, the squealing is still occuring. Very weird. I even put some of that no squeal stuff on the back of the pads. I'm pretty satisfied with the setup.

btw, Chris_L, I'm in the Torrance area as well. Patriot Blue 2001 GC with a UCLA sticker on the rear glass.
The squealing could be the high metal content pads.
I found some models of cars rotors tend to bend NOT WARP when tightened too much as in over tightening warps/bends the whole apparatus. So if the over tightening is too much it could end up being permanently warped/bent. Take it easy on tightening the wheel down and hopefully the problems like that wont resurface if that was a possible cause with the model of hub and rotor. Just finished taking my front wheels off and removing the ABS bell and cleaning the ABS sensors off that way. Didn't do much but clean up between the wheel and hub and try not to tighten the lug nuts too much and there is no squeaking pads till slower at around 20-30mph some times. Before it was even squealing at 55mph.
There are at least 3 types of pads I know of. High metal, ceramic and organic. I would imagine the pads advertised as the longest lasting ones would be the most prone to squeal. I was even told the high performance pads make a good racket but do a great job and dont fade too much. They are great for standing up to heat generated by things like towing trailer and such.
Good luck.
JeepingHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #13
darot

Here is some advice . . . do not waste your time trying to fix this problem. Go buy rotors with a lifetime warrenty or something close and plan on replacing them every 15,000 miles (or whatever your interval is).

99 WJ 120K
new calipers
several different brands of new rotors
all types of brake pads
a lot of money flushed down the toliet.
darot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
sv1cec
2002 WJ 

Being a new WJ owner, I went through this in a strange way.

Some history first: The truck is a 2002 Overland. The previous owner had replaced the front rotors and pads less than two months before I bought it. Still, on breaking the truck pulsated as if the ABS was kicking in (it wasn't). I visited the local Chrysler representative, their tech guy immediately said "Front rotors". I told him they've been changed two months ago, and he said "Well, we have to change them again". Not satisfied, I searched the Internet and found a TSB which suggested that the whole front brake system should be changed to the newer model one, i.e. rotors, calipers, pads etc. I took it to the tech guy, who reluctantly agreed to do it.

Time to pick up the truck. Took it for a ride with the tech guy and guess what? The trembling was still there. They lifted the truck and noticed that the rear wheels were not turning straight, so they told me they have to change the two half-shafts!!!! I couldn't believe that both half-shafts got bent, and the cost to replace them was almost 2000 Euros ($3,200) so I visited my old XJ mechanic. He very logically said that he found it very difficult to have two bend half-shafts in the axle. He suggested we replace the rear disk rotors and see.

Well, you guessed it, two rear rotors and no more wobbling, no more pulsating feel. The truck now brakes perfectly and I am a happy camper.
Unread 07-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #15
Kolak
Vendor

I've been a vendor for Stillen rotors for 10 years now and we've resolved countless hundreds of Jeep rotor warping problems with their rotors and pads. They use only the finest quality Brembo and ATE blanks as the foundation for their cross-drilled rotors. PM me if you'd like more information and pricing.
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.