Front Axle Recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front Axle Recommendations

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
robrileyw
1999 WJ 

Wj Front Axle Recommendations

Hi guys, looking for a new front axle assembly from a junk yard...My jeep has the quadra-trac II in it with a nv247 transfer case.....just wondering what front axles are compatible with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L. I believe the front axle is considered a Dana 30, but wondering what years of jeep wj's and if it matters if the junk yard front axle is selec trac, quadra drive, or if it has to be a quadra trac 2 axle???

Thanks ahead of time

robrileyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Any axle is bolt in.
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
Any axle is bolt in.
You have to make sure to get the right gear ratio. A good rule of thumb is if it has the STOCK hitch then it will have 3.73 gears, and if it has no hitch than it has the 3.55's. Another way to make sure is to see if the WJ with the stock hitch has the power steering cooler/lines, and has transmission cooler lines where the radiator is.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
sparky952
1999 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrileyw View Post
Hi guys, looking for a new front axle assembly from a junk yard...My jeep has the quadra-trac II in it with a nv247 transfer case.....just wondering what front axles are compatible with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L. I believe the front axle is considered a Dana 30, but wondering what years of jeep wj's and if it matters if the junk yard front axle is selec trac, quadra drive, or if it has to be a quadra trac 2 axle???

Thanks ahead of time
Just to be nitpicky about your question, QuadraDrive is a limited slip differential. QuadraTrac is a Transfer Case (247). SlectTrac is a transfer case (242). QuadraTrac 2 does not refer to the axle, rahter your 247 transfer case. I don't think you need to worry about the donor vehicle transfer case type, someone correct me if I am wrong, when searching for a Dana 30 axle. You should verify the yoke on the differential of your new front end, that it will work with your driveshaft. I would also consider grabbing the a front drive shaft of the U-Joint style instead of the double CV joint (if you have a CV joint style drive shaft) since you are in there. They can cause serious vibrations if lifted, and can cause slight vibrations at stock height.

I would consider the QuadraDrive as an improvement over the standard wide open differential. I am not sure what is required if you swap from a standard open differential to QuadraDrive. I guess you should check what you have now. If you have QuadraDrive limited slip differentials, there is a decal on the back of your jeep with 'QuadraDrive' on it. I should mention it is an improvement if you wheel or drive in weather. If you drive on the street in so cal, it is a waste of technology! And something to go wrong.

I must have typed the word Quadra 20 times now!

That's all I can offer for help. Good luck.
sparky952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
You have to make sure to get the right gear ratio. A good rule of thumb is if it has the STOCK hitch then it will have 3.73 gears, and if it has no hitch than it has the 3.55's. Another way to make sure is to see if the WJ with the stock hitch has the power steering cooler/lines, and has transmission cooler lines where the radiator is.
^ Pretty good rule. You could also order (free) a build sheet from Jeeps website. It is a detailed printout of options your VIN-specific WJ came from the factory with, including gear ratio. For example, mine had the "factory tow package", but didn't have a hitch. It does have transmission cooler lines and 3.73.

You could do a minor upgrade and find a varilok axle from a Quadra-Drive, and it would transfer torque from side-to-side in the front. I just spent about a year searching for one (they're all over, just not always in great shape), and decided that paying the extra money wasn't worth it for a used axle with a differential that may eventually fail, and to my knowledge, are not rebuildable. I went with another Selec-Trac, open carrier, with a locker.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
robrileyw
1999 WJ 

Thanks for all the responses guys! I just did request a free build sheet from Jeep (wonder how long that will take to get back the build options)....So to get right down to the point, any Dana 30 will work as long as it's the correct gear ratio (whether it be 3.73 or 3.55)??? My jeep did not come with a hitch, but it does have an external transmission cooler like brianestep does....so now I'm wondering what gear ratio I have (this will hopefully get answered shortly by getting the build sheet).

I still have a question though, my jeep does not have quadra drive differentials (limited slip), does this mean I shouldn't use a quadra drive limited slip differential or how would you be able to tell if the axle I'm getting was from a quadra drive jeep (if i didn't get to see the jeep it came off of). ??
robrileyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrileyw View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys! I just did request a free build sheet from Jeep (wonder how long that will take to get back the build options)....So to get right down to the point, any Dana 30 will work as long as it's the correct gear ratio (whether it be 3.73 or 3.55)??? My jeep did not come with a hitch, but it does have an external transmission cooler like brianestep does....so now I'm wondering what gear ratio I have (this will hopefully get answered shortly by getting the build sheet).

I still have a question though, my jeep does not have quadra drive differentials (limited slip), does this mean I shouldn't use a quadra drive limited slip differential or how would you be able to tell if the axle I'm getting was from a quadra drive jeep (if i didn't get to see the jeep it came off of). ??
You most likely have 3.55's. I don't think they ever put 3.73's in WJ's without hitches.

You can use an open or a limited slip diff. As long as the gear ratio is the same, it will be fine. The best way to tell without taking the cover off and looking at the differential case is just to see if it has the quadra drive badge on it. And possibly the junk yard will know.

differential.jpeg

Left is open, right is the LSD.

Unread 03-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

There is a bit of misleading info already in this thread so please don't take a lot of it as fact.

As for your gear ratio, it is stamped on the lip of the diff cover. It might take some cleaning and grinding to see it, but it is there. Your build sheet will also confirm and they usually email it within a day or two. With the 4.0, it can be tricky to confirm without seeing it on the cover or having your build sheet.

Quadra Drive and Quadra Track II actually use the same transfer case (unlike what the above poster said) The difference between the two is the axles and only the axles. QD has vari-locks front and rear. QTII has open diffs front and rear. If your gear ratio is 3.73, then there is nothing at all wrong with grabbing a vari-lock axle. But if you have 3.55s, you are stuck with an open diff. Being a 99, you likely have a flange at the pinion instead of a ujoint yoke. So keep that in mind when searching. Changing the pinion yoke is pretty tricky and very easy to screw up, so if you don't have experience with it, find one with the correct yoke, or pay someone to change it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Grand Cherokee General Discussion Holiday Giveaway
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
You most likely have 3.55's. I don't think they ever put 3.73's in WJ's without hitches.
They did put 3.73s in 4.0s with the "tow ready" package which doesn't actually have a hitch, but has everything else (gears, trans cooler, etc.)

And of course, all 4.7s, hitch or not, have 3.73s.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Grand Cherokee General Discussion Holiday Giveaway
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

As ezflip said, 3.73 is all V8 WJs.

For a build sheet from Jeep with no waiting, go here and enter your VIN where it says "equipment listing":

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...WGxOMmc2T2w%3D
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
My friend! I have 3.73 in a 4.0L without (factory) hitch!! That gearing comes with the "tow-ready" package. I can't imagine towing anything with 3.55s, the 4.0L, and 32s. Yikes!!!

I read right over that the OP has the V8. 3.73 FTW
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
My friend! I have 3.73 in a 4.0L without (factory) hitch!! That gearing comes with the "tow-ready" package. I can't imagine towing anything with 3.55s, the 4.0L, and 32s. Yikes!!!

I read right over that the OP has the V8. 3.73 FTW
This whole time I was thinking he had a 4.0. Thats why I thought he had 3.55's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.