Front Axle questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front Axle questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
LadyRavenwood
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Question Front Axle questions

Hi everyone,

I have a 2000 Grand and it desperately needs a new front axle and front shocks. The rear shocks aren't too bad yet. Sears quoted me over $900 just for the front axle. Now, I can pick up both the left and right for just over $50 a piece from Napa. I want to do the job myself because I don't have $900. I've tried to search the internet for videos oh now to replace the front axles, but I can't find any.

I've never done this before and my hubby will be helping me, though he's never done a front axle job either, he has done brakes and shocks, and he has general automotive knowledge. I plan on tackling the axle job this weekend. I've done minor things like the thermostat, ignition cylinder lock, oil sensor pressure switch, water pump, mostly engine work, while my husband has done brakes and shocks/struts. Can we do this axle job with our limited knowledge? I'm hoping that replacing the front axles and front shocks will solve the shimming problem I'm having when I reach speeds over 60MPH and the loud clunking noise whenever I hit bumps.

Does anyone know of a website that has step by step instructions and maybe some pictures of how to replace the front axles? I do have the repair manual, but wanted something with better pictures.

Moving on to the shocks, we don't have the new rear shocks right now, they are on back order. Will I totally screw up my Jeep if I just replace the front shocks while I replace the axle and not do the rear shocks until a later date?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

LadyRavenwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
1999wjlimited
1999 WJ 

This is the guide I used when replacing my driver side axle shaft. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...sembly-377533/
It took me a couple hours to do it but I was going slow I feel like I could do it in under an hour a second time thru.

As for the shocks you'll be fine just replacing the front.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
LadyRavenwood
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks! I actually found that same post after much searching. I'm having my hubby study it now. Hopefully we will be able to pull this off. This is our only vehicle at the moment so we really need it working. We've got all day to get it done so we can take our time and do it right. Thanks again!
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
kjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRavenwood View Post
Thanks! I actually found that same post after much searching. I'm having my hubby study it now. Hopefully we will be able to pull this off. This is our only vehicle at the moment so we really need it working. We've got all day to get it done so we can take our time and do it right. Thanks again!
You can do it! I didn't change the axles on mine, but they had to come out to replace the axle seals in the differential due to leakage. Something you might consider since you're going to have it mostly apart anyway. Either way be very careful inserting the axle, the end teeth are Sharp and can easily cut the rubber seal. Also you might want to run a rag on a stick thru the axle tube to clean out any gunk in there. (The article 1999wjlimited pointed to did mention that) If there's much oil in there, again, you might think about those 12+ year old seals.. Be a shame to get it all back together only to discover some new leaks under there later. And please! Use some jack stands under there.. not the tire as in the article. Safety first! Good Luck
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
LadyRavenwood
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the tips! My husband was thinking of doing the seals since we were taking it apart anyway. I've got a set of 3 ton jack stands, so you can be assured that I will be using them.
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
You can do it! I didn't change the axles on mine, but they had to come out to replace the axle seals in the differential due to leakage. Something you might consider since you're going to have it mostly apart anyway. Either way be very careful inserting the axle, the end teeth are Sharp and can easily cut the rubber seal. Also you might want to run a rag on a stick thru the axle tube to clean out any gunk in there. (The article 1999wjlimited pointed to did mention that) If there's much oil in there, again, you might think about those 12+ year old seals.. Be a shame to get it all back together only to discover some new leaks under there later. And please! Use some jack stands under there.. not the tire as in the article. Safety first! Good Luck
To be fair, he isn't using the tire/wheel as a jackstand, but as a backup in case the jack fails, to keep the knuckle and etc. from slamming dirt in case the jack gives out. Of course jackstands are great, but if you don't have them handy...; I use the jack, jackstands, plus the tire underneath. The more precautions, the better. I trust a good quality jack more than crappy jackstands any day!
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

This should go pretty easy for ya. As for the shocks, you could replace one outta the four and it wouldn't screw anything up. Maybe check around locally for some rear ones, then you can at least get them all done at once. I did all four of my shocks in probably an hour. Remember on the rears, its the bolt that backs out. The nut on the outside is fixed. Take a torch to them for 15-20 seconds and they should come right out.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.