front axle not turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front axle not turning

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
sparky952
1999 WJ 

front axle not turning

1999 WJ
Quadra Trac II
**NO** Quadra Drive, so no vari-loc diff.
**NO** there aren't any HUBS to lock

I jacked up my WJ, front and back, to install a 4" lift I got from Kolak. Before I started I spun the front drive shaft by hand to see what would happen. Nothing. After doing some test (i.e. starting the vehicle with all four tires off the ground, in 4 all time and 4 LO) the front axle does not spin even though the front drive shaft does. I hear a clicking or grinding sound. It sounds like a hammer drill. I will be tearing into the front diff tomorrow. Just curious if anyone has advice for me, or has gone thru this. I read a few threads and heard a lot of talk about lockers and checking the hubs. I don't have lockers, vari-loc or locking hubs. Thanks for any help any of you may have.

sparky952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Pull the diff cover and go from there. Sounds like a ring gear and pinion problem.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
sparky952
1999 WJ 

It was a really stupid problem. I got it 3 months ago. Apparently someone replaced the front drivers side axle. They installed a quadra drive axle. I do not have quadra drive. The axle I needed is about 1-1/2" longer but the same otherwise. The spline on the axle was engaged in the differential about 1/16" and the noise was those splines breaking loose. New axle, all better.
sparky952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.