Front axle bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front axle bad?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Guiness92
2001 WJ 

Front axle bad?

To start I have a 2001 grand cherokee with the 4.7. Ive had the whining noise for about a month so I decided to check the axles. The rear diff was dry so I added fluid and the noise was still there, so I checked the front. The front diff has alot of metal shavings caked around the plug when I pulled it out.

My question is, what are my options at this point. Should I try to rebuild it? replace it, or upgrade it? Not sure if rebuilding it is in my mechanical abilities lol.

Guiness92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

rebuilding is going to cost $500 - $800. its a very hard job that requires a lot of procise measurements. if you can find some WJ axles with matching gear ratios, thats your best bet.
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Guiness92
2001 WJ 

a local junkyard has an entire diff assembly with axles for 400 bucks with 114k miles on it. Does this seem about the right price range?
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you could find a better deal, in my local craigslist there is front and rear axles (D30 and D35 from a I6 WJ) for $300 obo. they are 3.73 ratio, i would jump on em, but im looking for a D44 rear. however, does that $400 include the complete axle housing? or just the inards?
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Guiness92
2001 WJ 

the complete housing and all ready to bolt on but only with a 60 day warranty, its an extra 450 bucks for a 2 year warranty on it.
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

I paid 300 for a 50k mile 44a with an open carrier.

It had a ton of surface rust being from western PA, so it took some time with a wire wheel to clean up. I wouldn't pay much more than that though.

Junkyard parts vary by location though. Search car-part.com and see what you come up with.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it might be worth $400, what gears are in it?
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Twospeed
2002 WJ 

What makes you think it needs replaced? Take the cover off and check the gears and pinion. It might just need new fluid or maybe just bearings. A lot cheaper than a whole new axle. If your rear axle was truly dry, it most likely will need new axle bearings at a minumum along with the seals (the fluid had to get out somewhere.) I had a whine from my rear axle until I replaced the axle bearings and seals. It's gone now. Not a difficult job to do and the whole thing with parts and having the bearings pressed on was about $120.
Unread 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Guiness92
2001 WJ 

when I removed the plug on the front diff, there was alot of metal shavings gooped up around the fill hole. It could just be the bearings but would the metal shavings most likely be from the gears grinding down?

The rear was totally dry yes. Not sure where it leaked from though, I removed the rear diff cover, rotors and everything and there was absolutely no buildup anywhere of any sort. everything was perfectly dry aside from rust but I live on the jersey shore so thats expected. The axle spun freely with no noise and no slop or wobble. Im still confused as to why it was bone dry.
Unread 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness92 View Post
...The rear was totally dry yes. Not sure where it leaked from though, I removed the rear diff cover, rotors and everything and there was absolutely no buildup anywhere of any sort. everything was perfectly dry aside from rust but I live on the jersey shore so thats expected. The axle spun freely with no noise and no slop or wobble. Im still confused as to why it was bone dry.
What about the pinion seal area?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Guiness92
2001 WJ 

hmmm lol this is going to sound stupid but I didnt check that for some reason. I automatically assumed it was the axle bearings or a problem in the diff, didnt think of looking on the other side of the diff. That is most likely where that leaked out from.

Now I just hope the front axle is as simple.
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness92 View Post
when I removed the plug on the front diff, there was alot of metal shavings gooped up around the fill hole. It could just be the bearings but would the metal shavings most likely be from the gears grinding down?

The rear was totally dry yes. Not sure where it leaked from though, I removed the rear diff cover, rotors and everything and there was absolutely no buildup anywhere of any sort. everything was perfectly dry aside from rust but I live on the jersey shore so thats expected. The axle spun freely with no noise and no slop or wobble. Im still confused as to why it was bone dry.
Ghost fluid...only came in a few Jeeps...
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Twospeed
2002 WJ 

What do you mean by dry? No fluid in the axle?
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Guiness92
2001 WJ 

on the rear the diff was bone dry, but around the axle bearrings was dry too, I didnt see the need to pull the rear axle bearrings after I found the problem with the front differential though. Judging by the buildup around the pinion area on the rear Im almost positive the rear one leaked from the pinion seal.

The front one I think is the main problem. Im going to try to take it apart this weekend. Anyone know of a good writeup for rebuilding a front rear? lol I may be getting in over my head on this one but I cant afford to bring it to a shop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.