front akebono steel piston caliper upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front akebono steel piston caliper upgrade?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

front akebono steel piston caliper upgrade?

so i have a 04 WJ 4.7L with the akebono calipers in the front. within the past 3 years i have had to warranty out A1 Cardone calipers every year cause the front caliper pistons keep seizing up. im sure the upstate ny winters are not helping me at all, but i would like to rebuild these calipers myself, hoping i wont have this issue again.

one of the main things i want to do is upgrade the pistons from phenolic to steel. however, i see many places over steel pistons for the teves brakes, but not the akebono. so for the only place i can find caliper pistons for this caliper is centric (p/n 145.48003) however it doesnt state what material it is... im assuming they are OE phenolic material.

has anyone have any luck finding steel pistons for these calipers at all??

04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Surely with winters that bad, you want to avoid the potential corrosion in the steel pistons and keep the non corrosive ceramic ones...or did I missunderstand? Also the steel ones will expand more when they get hot I would guess....although I would assume anyone making them would allow extra clearance to allow for this.
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

well this is where i get a lil confused.... from what i read, phenolic is a synthetically made polymer. and from what i read, can be brittle and break down over time.

steel on the other hand, will get surface rust. but only on the exterior where it meets the brake pad, inside the caliper, it should be saturated in brake fluid and should stay clean.

thermal expansion?? i dont believe phenolic would expand under temperature increase. steel would. but wouldnt the brake fluid act as a "cooler"? so my brake fluid temperature would increase, but with brake fluid having such a high boiling point, would it matter??

im just throwing out ideas and possible upgrades to prevent having future caliper failure. i was hoping that by sandblasting, etching primer, caliper paint, rehoning the caliper, and some new seals and pistons i could prevent the weather from damaging these calipers again....
04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.