Friends Engine Drank some Water. I want to help him. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Friends Engine Drank some Water. I want to help him.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Friends Engine Drank some Water. I want to help him.

I usually am on the CJ forum but since he has a wj I am here with you strangers. haha. Hes not an internet guy so I tell him I know just the people to talk to. Ok so heres the deal. He was on the beach, water came in, hit his vehicle.

It never actually cut off when water came in, just started running like crap, (as soon as the water hit). He got it away from the water. Pulled the air filter and tried to crank it again, wouldnt work then. Was soon wise enough to call a tow truck. Tow guy sprayed some 'water displacement 40th attempt' on around the plugs. Managed to get it to crank, ran it for 20 minutes saying that would dry the engine out. Buddy then got the jeep towed home, says he can crank it as it sits but the engine feels very week and it wont shift into any gears. says if feels like a cylinder isnt hitting (he doesn't know much about engines) and that he can hear was sounds like a chattering ticking noise coming from under the vehicle.

I have instructed him to pull the plugs and try a few cranks to remove any water, as well as replace the air filter, oil, and oil filter. along with checking out the diff oils and trancase and tranny oils.

I have a Cj, I read what I could on this problem, I don't think its a fully blown hydrolock, He gets no smoke anywhere.

What do you guys suggest? I told him it was atleast good his engine ran, but to stop trying to run it for now, until he pulls those plugs. I think that tow guy was an idiot.

You guys think his engine is shot or is there some hope still left in this cruel world? Please help me help him out, he doesnt have money for a new engine nor a mechanic right now however he is very mechanical inclined.

Thanks,

smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

How was the air filter when it was pulled?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Here are some things I would do:

1 - Pull Spark Plugs, turn engine over to see if water is in the cylinders. Do a compression test to see if any valves or rods are bent. Change Spark Plugs (already have them out)
2 - Oil may have water it in, change it
3 - Transmission may have water in it (causing shifting issues), change it. If you find water when you change it, warm to operating temp and flush it again.

Remember that oils weigh less than water, they float. Checking the dipstick will not necessarily tell you if you have water in your fluids. If you have a TON of water, the oil may actually look like chocolate milk though.

BTW- what engine does he have?
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

If he's in Raleigh.....I'll set up a visit.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

First drop out of a pan should be oil. Water is heavier as mentioned. If it has water in it then should be easy to tell.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Thanks guys, even the small info helps. He is actually up in Newport in Va. I am in Raleigh. If he were here it would be much more helpful so for me to help him out. Ill get the info to him along with what I have already told him. He works alot so hopefully he can get a chance to get to it soon. Ill keep ya posted, always good to post results for the next guy. Also, mot sure how that air filter looked, he didn't say but ill ask next time i talk to him.
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Cant believe i forgot the engine the first post. I believe it is a 3.7 liter v6. I have told him to do all this. Also, as far as the differentials, isnt it wise to look into those as well? pretty much anywhere there is fluid?

Any 1 more question, what engines would drop into his vehicle if he did infact have to replace it? currently its a 05' with a 2.7 v6 and AWD transmission according to him, not sure if thats the quadratrac or what.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

None of those engines come in a WJ ! Check your info! Must be a WK if it's 05. Wrong forum.
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

well, let me talk to my buddy, he is the one that told me that. hes probably wrong somewhere in there.
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Sorry guys. He has a WK I am hoping he can try and get to it this weekend
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
GPrime2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
Here are some things I would do:

1 - Pull Spark Plugs, turn engine over to see if water is in the cylinders. Do a compression test to see if any valves or rods are bent. Change Spark Plugs (already have them out)
2 - Oil may have water it in, change it
3 - Transmission may have water in it (causing shifting issues), change it. If you find water when you change it, warm to operating temp and flush it again.

Remember that oils weigh less than water, they float. Checking the dipstick will not necessarily tell you if you have water in your fluids. If you have a TON of water, the oil may actually look like chocolate milk though.

BTW- what engine does he have?
+1 on compression check, easiest way to find out how much real damage was done. Also the 3.7s I've worked on (2002ish Jeep Libertys), have a tendency to explode all on their own without the help of hydrolocking. Good luck either way, I hope it's something simple.
GPrime2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Likewise, thanks for the support. I may have to drive up to VA this weekend one day so he will get a handle on it. He is one of those guys that never stops working and doesn't have time for shenanigans. although i wouldn't consider this a shenanigan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.