Freshly rebuilt trans shifting erratically. Normal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Freshly rebuilt trans shifting erratically. Normal?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Freshly rebuilt trans shifting erratically. Normal?

Background: Just had my 42re rebuilt at 217K. Originally took it into the shop because it was hesitating shifting 1-2 and overdrive was on its way out. First drive into work today and after about 25 miles on the highway, it started displaying the same symptoms. It didnt' want to shift out of first gear coming from of a dead stop until I let off the gas and it didn't want to downshift into overdrive on the highway. After I stopped for gas, the problem didnt' come back for the last 3 miles of my trip. I called the trans shop and they said this is not unexpected for the first startup after a rebuild.

Questions: Is this normal behavior after a rebuild until the trans "relearns" the shift points? Should I call shenanigans on the trans shop and take it back there immediately? I still need to drive it about 50 miles to get home today.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Crewdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
katzonice69
1999 WJ 

See how it is on the way home. The torque converter probably just had no fluid in it from the rebuild so it shifted irratically until it got fluid in it
katzonice69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Update: I had the same problem on the way home last night and the truck is back at the shop. After the trans warmed up, it didn't want to shift out of first if coming from a full stop. In addition, it shifted erratically for the first minute or so after this problem manifested before it straightened itself out. If I even touched the gas during this time, the engine would rev really high no matter how little gas I gave it. I'll update again when I have some solid info from the shop.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
chriswj

dont let them give you any bullsh!t
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

And a lot of independent tranny shops want to use "universal" fluids and then dump additives in them to make them Chrysler compatible. NO! Make sure they are filling it with real ATF+4.

With the level of problems you are having it's probably more than just that but something to watch for. My son's Chrysler tranny was rebuilt by an independent shop just prior to his buying it, and it had occassional shift issues early on but a couple of drain and fills of real ATF+4 took care of it.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's not an independent shop. I took it to Aamco. The office manager swears they use genuine ATF+4.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Latest update: After supposedly ruling out wiring and electrical problems the first time and performing a costly rebuild, they are once again checking for wiring and electrical problems. Tomorrow will make 3 solid weeks they've had my truck. They've repeatedly stated that they're not charging me for this, but from my perspective, the inconvenience of not having my DD back is costly enough. Are they just taking me for a ride at this point?

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Today's update: so I went down there today. The truck is still on the rack and they were draining the trains fluid when I visited. Still haven't figured out the problem, but it's good to see they're still working on it and haven't forgotten about me. They've been very light on details of what they've tried so far, so unfortunately I don't have any wisdom to impart. What they have told me, though, is that the next step is to just replace the transmission. I guess they're getting tired of this merry-go-round too. Nits under warranty, so I'm not expecting it to cost me any more than what I've paid so far. We'll see.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Through all of this, has anyone checked the transmission speed sensors to see if they're faulty or gooped up?
Hazed_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would hope that they've ruled out the low-hanging fruit like TPS, speed sensors or shift solenoids, but who knows? They've been very light on details.

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.