Free battery change? Maybe.. But it had a cost. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wjjeep19

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
4WDlifeform
2004 WJ 

Free battery change? Maybe.. But it had a cost.

OK guys, I MUST vent this one out. I am not bashing any company, individual, or trolling. This is a statement of actual events.

Took the WJ to local auto parts store where they swap batteries for free. Usually I don't let anyone touch my cars, but a simple battery swap I figured what the heck.

The guy wheels out his cart with the new battery and all necessary tools. My terminals have 12mm bolts, I knew that so I suggested that to the guy (he was maybe mid 20s). He couldn't get the open ended wrench on. He did not try lining the flats up on the wrench so it would sit over the flats of the bolt and slide on. He instantly went to 1/2"... then 13mm... then 7/16"... I really did not know what to say, so I just leaned in, and thankfully the terminals just popped off. Now on to the clamp at the bottom.

Again, I suggested he use 10mm socket, extension, and ratchet. He starts spinning the ratchet free, "click click click click". There he is, spinning and spinning. I guess he thought the bolt was loosening?? I politely suggested he switch the lever on the ratchet so that it engages and twists the bolt. Now he realized the way he WAS turning (left) now was "jammed", so he spins it to the RIGHT, "click click click"...... I really did not know what to say. It was too awkward. Eventually, he figured it out. I suggested once it was loose, the battery would wiggle out. He tried lifting the battery with one quick try, and went back to spinning the bolt. I asked him to let me try, I reached in, and yanked it out.

Eventually got the new battery in, without much additional hassle. Then to conclude, he sprayed the terminal protector on as he said "this will prevent rust".

The cost? Pain. It was so painful.

'04 WJ 4.0, 300k miles! 2" Coils 255/70 AT on JK take-offs
'14 KL 3.2 Trailhawk - !!FOR SALE!!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 AM
pkman

2002 WJ 

I feel your pain!

2002 Overland - OME 2.5 coils with Kolak special
post #3 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 AM
xcaliber81
2004 WJ 

In his defence there's a bit more pressure while people watch.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 07:33 AM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

If you want something done right...
Ravenbar likes this.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #5 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 07:37 PM
YeepinBlue
2001 WJ 

Garage
I used to work for autozone, it's kind of a hit or miss on who you get, as far as those who know a lot about vehicles and those who actually work on them. I've seen quite a few employees strip bolts and even forget to put the battery tie-downs back. I'd say at least half of those who are hired at autozone (or any parts store for that matter) have never picked up a wrench, and less than 10% have any kind of certification. Our entire district only had 2 ASE certified techs. "Free Battery Installation" is just a way to sell more batteries, because you are reaching all of those people who don't have basic hand tools or the knowledge if the job was done correctly or not.

Keep Yeepin!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
4WDlifeform
2004 WJ 

^^ Understood. However, it boggles me someone who has no experience with tools, or even any interest in cars would take such a job. No one was taking time to teach the guy, nor was he asking questions. Not just the guy at fault. Customer suffers in the end.

Regardless, just a funny story I thought to share! No real harm done.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is sad. but since all they rely on the computer to tell them, it has become more common then not.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 06:48 AM
99wjtx
1999 WJ 

You're the master in that situation. The matrix works in strange ways. Perhaps it was a test to see how you would handle the interaction with a grasshopper - i.e. - are you gracious and accommodating, or are you a mean know-it-all twit (who might not really know it all like most know-it-alls) with no real interest in anyone but yourself. It sounds like you were the former, which is good. Had you berated the poor kid and/or complained to the manager using saucy language or worse, then you might have inherited an evil entity to accompany you for oh ... 10 years or so, and a gaggle of gremlins to beset your WJ with breaks and issues that are difficult to resolve. Don't....Ask...Me...How...I...Know.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
4WDlifeform
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
The matrix works in strange ways. Perhaps it was a test
I am so with you! Call it karma? What goes around comes around? The "system" ALWAYS evens itself out. May happen tomorrow, may happen in years. Just have to hope someday when I am in a struggle, some "master" will take time from their day and help me. I believe it. If I didn't, I'd be "that jerk" and expect nothing from anyone. Not a good way to live.

Cheers!

post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform
^^ Understood. However, it boggles me someone who has no experience with tools, or even any interest in cars would take such a job. No one was taking time to teach the guy, nor was he asking questions. Not just the guy at fault. Customer suffers in the end. Regardless, just a funny story I thought to share! No real harm done.
may. Be the new common core teaching in school.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.