Font axle shaft replacement!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Font axle shaft replacement!!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Font axle shaft replacement!!!

Long story short I bought my WJ with the front axles removed and no front drive shaft either

So now I need to get the parts to have my 4wd running again. I have the quadra-drive system with vari-lok diffs.

What's the difference between the axles with and without the vari-lok?? Any pictures to compare???

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

The difference between varilock shafts and non-varilock shafts is about 1 inch in length otherwise they are the same physically and visually. The question should be why were the front DS and axle shafts removed? Sounds like there is a bigger problem in the front diff that you'll have to deal with first.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

If there aren't at least 2wd stub shafts in, then your bearings will separate!

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedWJ View Post
The difference between varilock shafts and non-varilock shafts is about 1 inch in length otherwise they are the same physically and visually. The question should be why were the front DS and axle shafts removed? Sounds like there is a bigger problem in the front diff that you'll have to deal with first.
There is nothing wrong with front diff or the T-Case!!!... And please don't get me started about this issue It's normal here for some Jeep/SUV/4X4 owners to just remove the front drive shaft or/and the front axles to disengage the 4wd system.... (I can't believe I saying this here) They believe that this will make the on-road driving easier not so much interest in off-roading here... other than sand driving there is nothing else.

I founded "Jeep Club Kuwait" to teach people here about 4wd in generel and about Jeeps in specific

And now I'm paying for those idiots mistakes
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
I founded "Jeep Club Kuwait" to teach people here about 4wd in generel and about Jeeps in specific

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
If there aren't at least 2wd stub shafts in, then your bearings will separate!
Who ever did that seems that he knows what he is doing... I'm not saying what he did was right and if it's up to me I would impale him because to me this is how one rapes a Jeep

Anyway... I opened the diff cover the other day and I found the whole case filled with grease which I guess is to preserve it... everything in there looks good!!! And they stuffed the axle tubes with some kind of sponge I guess and they have half the axles in the wheel bearing.... I'm hoping that everything will be fine bt I can't make sure unless I get the axles in and the DS installed, would I?
Unread 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just use this one since this would be a follow up to the same problem.

So I got the new front axles and drive shaft (thanks kolak)

Yesterday I tried to remove the carrier from my front end to clean all the grease but it won't get out... I tried prying it, wedging it and everything I can think of with no luck is there a trick to removing the carrier from the diff case? When I installed the diff lock on the D30 on my TJ I just removed the front axles and the carrier just fell off!!! Why is this one stuck??
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This so frustrating I'm about to strap it with something and winch it out with my TJ
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
smunns

If it's that hard to get out, it will probably that hard to get back in. Do you have access to a case spreader?
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
This so frustrating I'm about to strap it with something and winch it out with my TJ
You did remove the bearing caps right...

As long as you did that ^ it should come out, just may take a little force. A case spreader is the proper tool for the job. You can also try wedging a rag or something soft between the ring gear and the pinion, then use the pinion nut to rotate the gears forcing them to mesh. That will help push out the carrier.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't thing the caps were worth mentioning but Yes I did remove them. And I don't have a case spreader. This is a do it yourself at home type of work for me

Anyway maybe I'm not trying hard enough! Just how strong is the carrier exactly? How hard can I pry on it for it to come out?
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Do a Google and/or forum search for front axle seal replacement for a WJ and you will find multiple tutorials on how to get it out without a case spreader, pictures and all.
itsparadoxical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Done... it's out tied the carrier with an old tow strap the I anchored it to my TJ. Then I put the WJ in neutral and let gravity do it's job ! of course I was under the jeep to catch it and my friend was inside to hold the brakes on my command.

And now the hard part begins... Cleaning everything from all the stupid grease that was stuffed there
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I put the WJ in neutral and let gravity do it's job ! of course I was under the jeep to catch it and my friend was inside to hold the brakes on my command.

Glad you didn't get squished!!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.