Fog light spacer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fog light spacer

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Fog light spacer

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times and searched, but can seem to find a write up or decent photos of this mod.

The issue I'm having is that we're running 32's with adjustable CA's, with the arms adjusted out to clear the rear of the wheel well the tires rub the foglights with the wheels turned and in reverse or going through dips. I think I have trimmed enough of the bumper cover, but that's not too big of a deal since I can remove more if necessary.

Any one got a link or some good pics showing this?

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Saturday bump.

Anybody?

Unread 08-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe if you posted in the ZJ section....
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
formeraudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
he should post in the ZJ forum to ask questions regarding his wife's WJ? that's antihelpful.
formeraudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Maybe you should learn to read sigs Mr. XJ:

Hers: '03 WJ, 4.7 V8, Kolak Exhaust, IRO 3", Bilsteins, JKS TB, KOR TB Bushings, 32" Cooper ATP's

Looks like I may just have to go this one alone and see what I can figure out. Might be an opportunity for me to put together another write for this site.

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I just went to ace hardware and grabbed aluminum sleeves, washers and wood screws(cause they grab the ABS better). I think they sell them in 1" or so. Total $20 or less.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

People put all kinds of silly stuff in their sigs. Don't expect other people to read every insightful word you have posted, and figure out which Jeep you are having problems with.

BTW, I also have a 2000 WJ I bought new, so yeah, I know a little about them.
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Well posting in a specific forum usually gets the idea across. Especially since the ZJ doesn't need the fogs moved out of the way.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, the way the fog lights work, is they slide into the bumper cover on what could be consider a kinda of rail I guess. They are bolted then on the back through the bumper cover. Depending on how much room you need for clearance, you could go at it several different ways.

Easiest would be if you can clear the plastic back of the bumper cover, then you may be fine just using washers as spacers to move the light assembly forward enough to clear the tire (and hopefully from the front still looks good). If you need to remove the back more, then you'd have to see about how far forward the housing has to be moved, then see about how to fasten it to hold it in place. (and of course does it look right from the front?) Once you know how much room you need for clearance, then you can easily figure out where it needs to sit and then how to attach it, as there's multiple ways, from straight epoxy, to L brackets. On my g/f's we added them, cut out the louvers and simply epoxied them in place with really good epoxy. Have held up well for a few years now.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Could always cut plastic, move them forward, then plastic weld it back together..

assuming you have a plastic welder of course...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Yep, that would work, or just keep the plastic face, and fab up some projectors and retrofit to HID fogs.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Yeah the issue I'm having isn't that I'm hitting the actual fog light. It seems like the tire is rubbing on the mounting bracket.

I took a quick peek at it and it looks like cutting a section out of the middle of it to shorten it up may be the way to go.

Unread 08-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, the bumper is only a few millimeters thick, and the back of the fog housing sits back flush right against it. The only way would be to cut the back molded part of where the fog lights sits and move it forward. Then you'd need to use the mounting holes on the actual fog light to work from to reattach them to the bumper cover, but forward as much as you need them to go.

Unread 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used 3/4in nylon spacers and #12 2 1/2in screws from Home Dump. It was a little tricky to keep the spacer in place to slide the screw in. It mod has work out great. No more rubbing on the fog light housing or plug. Before the mod I made a tight turn going up my drive way and the outer sidewall lug ripped the plug of the bulb and broke it.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.