Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fluid change for diffs and transfer case

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Topher11 
#1 ·
Sorry im sure this has been covered a million times but this sunday i plan to change the oils and do the front pinion seal in the front diff, Whats the correct fluid to use for the quadradrive?

I need the mopar fm but is there something i can use off the shelf pre mixed? I live in canada so im not sure i can get this redline stuff i heard on this forum but what about amsoil?

#8 ·
I used Mopar fluids in changing them all out on my 04 4.7 Quadra-drive. Believe I paid $10-$11/qt at the dealer for the Mopar 75W-140 full synthetic I used in both axles but probably more costly up in Canada.

While some say only the Redline has the correct amount of friction modifier didn't need to worry about pre-mix ones since went with Mopar for the gear oil and separate FM.

You have no choice but to use the Mopar 247 fluid in your NV247 transfer case and will need to buy 2 qts. Good luck.

#9 ·
My goodness....

No, don't give the stealership more money by thinking you have to only buy their gear oil. Lmao since that oil is contracted out it is made by some company - have no idea.

If you did some digging you could find the company that makes MOPAR gear oil and go to the store to buy it and not pay ridiculous price at dealerships (if you were deadset on MOPAR fluid). All of them meet GL-5 specs so just throw a dart at one and you're good to go.

Add the mopar friction modifier as needed.

#10 ·
Ok so when im buying gear oil I want a gear oil without any added friction modifier? I am guessing too much FM is not a good thing correct?

Also I was thinking of this last night, when i did my zj with open diffs I used brake clean to clean the carrier a bit and since the wj has clutches in the carrier is that not a good idea?

#12 ·
Well 140$ later i have everything lol, went and got the nv247 fluid and the FM the lady at the parts counter said she asked the mechanic and he said they only use FM in the rear diff seems hokey as everything else I read said 2.5 oz in the front and im pretty sure the QD has limited slip in the front?

#13 ·
Prime example of why i do my own work. Sure, some non QD WJs had vari lok only in the rear, and maybe he was just answering off the top of his head. End of the day i still won't have any confidence in that. If its vari-lok, it takes FM. The front just like you said is 2.5oz.

#18 ·
I only had time to do the front diff and the pinion seal. My question is in 4low at full lock is it supposed to feel like kind of a bind? I can't hear anything and it only does it in 4low but my zj felt like this too while it was engaged in 4hi at full lock.

When I do the figure 8 on pavement it's as smooth as butter when transfer case is in the Normal position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.