post #1 of Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
TheAndrew

Wj Fixed one problem, create another!

So the jeep would seldom start, and when it did it would die after a couple minutes. Those couples minutes though, it ran like a champ! No loss of power or any other symptoms, then it would die. So after a little searching on the forum and Google, I decided to replace to crank sensor. Fixed the stalling issue! Cranks up every time now and stays running, cool.. but now, while accelerating, I've noticed a huge loss of power.. and what feels like a "skip" or "jump" kind of like transmission slippage, but I know it's not the transmission. Thought that maybe with a new crank sensor the computer may need to "recalibrate" so I unhooked the negative terminal on the battery and left it for about 10 minutes before hooking it back up. No change. Any ideas? I got the cheapest crank sensor the parts store sold (think I paid 30 bucks or so for it) so maybe it's just the part itself being poor quality? Are there any steps in replacing the crank sensor that maybe I fudged up or missed? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Realized I didn't put in my year or give any identifying information. It's a 99 WJ limited.

post #2 of Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

Jeeps are very particular with sensors and they don't really like aftermarket too much, i always go either OEM or a nice good quality aftermarket part. Im not saying its the sensor, im just informing you

2000 4.0L WJ "PB" - 2.5" Dynomax Catback - K&N Factory Air Filter - All Synthetic Fluids -Cooper Discoverer AT3's - 1" Addco Sway Bar
post #3 of Old 11-09-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
TheAndrew

Makes sense though. Before I replaced the CPS, no problem with power. After I replaced the CPS, huge loss of power.

Not trying to make 2 + 2 = 5, so I think I'll throw an OEM sensor back on and see what happens. Thanks!

1999 WJ Limited

ISO an XJ, Eastern NC area!