Fixed alternator with hammer, what next? (4.7) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fixed alternator with hammer, what next? (4.7)

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Fixed alternator with hammer, what next? (4.7)

Just turned over 170K.

On a recent 3 hour trip, my alt reading kept going lower & lower to the point that the check gauges light came on.

Knowing the alternator was suspect, I pulled over & left the engine running.

I tightened the batt cables to make sure it was pulling all juice it could to keep running & gave a whack to the top of alternator out of frustration with a tire iron.

It instantly "righted" itself and the engine RPMs increased and the under hood light brightened. Inside, the alt needle was back to just under 14 and it stayed that way for the rest of the trip.

On the way back home, 2 days later it did the same thing and I fixed it again the same way.

My question: Is that "fix" I found a classic sign of the alt going bad or is there something else recommended like opening it up and cleaning it out.

Is there a re-build kit recommended or is a newe one the only option?

Replace the belt while I'm in there, right?

Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Although the connection itself could be faulty (examine the connector, the pins inside it and the wiring closely for nicks,pinches,looseness,etc) Try wiggling the alt connector the next time the light comes on. Striking a failing alternator or starter sometimes nudges worn parts just enough for them to work for a while. With a alternator; the brushes are likely worn done and the blow jiggles them enough to connect. That's the problem with moving parts.....they wear out.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
berndog67
2003 WJ 

if u do replace it, make sure to get one for a 2004 durango 4.7L, and check the box and alt to be sure u got a 160 amp one, its a nice little upgrade from the 136 amp one we have in our wj's, and they are usually at least $20 cheaper than the wj ones!
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

My experience with the denso units used on older turbo/fwd dodges is that the armature often wears excessively, making rebuilding it (replacing brushes) a poor return on time and money invested. Not sure if these are similar, but for the money I'd buy a new one for a durango if you plan to keep the jeep a while.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berndog67 View Post
if u do replace it, make sure to get one for a 2004 durango 4.7L, and check the box and alt to be sure u got a 160 amp one, its a nice little upgrade from the 136 amp one we have in our wj's, and they are usually at least $20 cheaper than the wj ones!
2005+ durango

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

2001 durango also
adolphhipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Super...

The Durango unit bolts up, no modifications?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

The 05 does but there is a tab you may or may not have to cut off. I had to cut off because i drilled out the upper bolt because it was basically welded in the bracket.
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Done. The 2001 Durango unit bolted up perfectly.
The only modification was to the top connector (red wire) from the battery when I had to enlarge the hole of the wire connector to fit the larger post of the Durango alternator.

Cost $75 less than the Jeep spec unit and the Durango spec unit puts out 160 AMP compared to 134 with the OEM.

Anyone care to explain why this is so?
Also, is there any "down side" to a higher output alternator?
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
georged
2004 WJ 

Will the Durango unit fit and work on an 04 GCL 4.0?
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Well...the Durango never came with a 4.0

The Durango Alt unit I used was for a 4.7 and I asked the parts person to bring me a 2000 WJ Alt & the Durango Alt to look at side-by-side and we could see there was a match except for output rating.

Since the WJ 4.7 Alt is not a direct swap for the 4.0 Alt, I'd say no.
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Well...the Durango never came with a 4.0

The Durango Alt unit I used was for a 4.7 and I asked the parts person to bring me a 2000 WJ Alt & the Durango Alt to look at side-by-side and we could see there was a match except for output rating.

Since the WJ 4.7 Alt is not a direct swap for the 4.0 Alt, I'd say no.
I say find one at a scrap yard and double check. I have a 01 tj I6 & I swapped a 160 amp alternator from a 02 4.7 Durango. Granted the alternator on the I6 wj are in a different location than on a tj......they are the same engine.
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

Durango alt works on a wj 4.0 direct fit.
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

So if the Durango fits the WJ perfectly as I recently confirmed (2000WJ 4.7 & 2001 Durango 4.7)

...then the WJ 4.7 Alt is also a direct swap for the 4.0 WJ? (all years?)

Not arguing the point either way but want to prevent misunderstandings.
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
So if the Durango fits the WJ perfectly as I recently confirmed (2000WJ 4.7 & 2001 Durango 4.7)

...then the WJ 4.7 Alt is also a direct swap for the 4.0 WJ? (all years?)

Not arguing the point either way but want to prevent misunderstandings.
Correct, but with the Durango unit bring cheaper than a wj unit...it's a no brainer for those of us with tj's . I need to buy one for my 4.7 now too. My alternator is fine but I have lots of offroad lights that draw amperage

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.