Fix your OEM Disc changer in less than 5 min - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fix your OEM Disc changer in less than 5 min

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I pulled mine apart and cleaned the reading eye, no success. I didn't know that there was a different optic to read where the disc is. If someone has a pic our can explain what to look for, I will give it a try again.

EDIT: I was on my phone and didn't see the image...now at a computer. I will try it again tonight.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #17
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

Let me know. I reached in last night wiped it off, loaded six discs and its working. Could be a fluke we shall see.

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #18
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I wonder if this is the same kind of issue with reading the CD's themselves as well. Mine loads the CD's just fine but skips like crazy on almost every CD regardless of whether it is scratched at all or not. Quite annoying. I'll have to get some long Q-tips and see if cleaning some things helps...
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
MadMonk
1999 WJ 

I tried this because mine hasn't worked in months, but even after cleaning the sensors all I ever get is "Err" on the head unit. I took the cover off so that I can observe what was happening. It looks like the disk finally goes in, but never spins up. Maybe a bad motor?

Here's a quick video of what I'm talking about.
'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
Jeff64
2001 WJ 

Got mine to work today.

My cd changer didn't work when I bought it this February. After reading the posts in Jeepforum, I went out and took another look at it. When I would try it before, I too would get the "error" messages. Today, I removed the magazine, and blew air into it-even though it looks very clean inside. I also moved the silver lever up and down a few times. When you do this, you can see the 1/4 inch black plastic gears turning while you move this lever up and down. I went up front and turned on the cd changer. I then re-installed the magazine. It then made a slight "clicking" sound as it tried to pull the first cd into the changer. I knocked on the side of the changer 1 or 2 times, and everything settled, and it began to play. I went back to the drivers seat and cycled through the various functions of the changer through the radio. It has worked ever since. Since the black gears are plastic, maybe at one time they "jumped" the silver lever. Who knows. I'm just glad I got this to work. Hope this trick works for someone else.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
BigWheel7
1999 WJ 

what are these things you call a "cd"
BigWheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
MudPit
2001 WJ 

Good info. I've actually done this with multiple changers over the years. Every used car I've owned seemed to have a filthy tape deck and changer. Cleaning the tape heads and cd lens is one of the first things I do. Gotta have your music!
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #23
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

I've not had a problem since I cleaned all the lenses back in August. I use it daily.

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #24
mctwin2kman
1999 WJ 

Ha, at least you guys have the cartridge. Mine did not come with one. Still not sure if I want to spend 80 bucks for one. So far that is the only price I could find. And I did not really look that hard. May just do the ipod mod so I can direct connect my Sirius unit.
mctwin2kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
ChrisUT
1999 WJ 

you can get the whole changer with cartridge on ebay for 50-75 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-02-Grand-...item3cbeeaa938

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-C...item3f118cbc26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-JEE...item5d312162cb

they might not all have the cartridge with them, but better than getting it from the dealer.
ChrisUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #26
Fishmoose
2001 WJ 

Wj

I'll sell mine for 75$ It works and comes with the cartridge.. s.musso@hotmail.com
Fishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.