I pulled mine apart and cleaned the reading eye, no success. I didn't know that there was a different optic to read where the disc is. If someone has a pic our can explain what to look for, I will give it a try again.
EDIT: I was on my phone and didn't see the image...now at a computer. I will try it again tonight.
I wonder if this is the same kind of issue with reading the CD's themselves as well. Mine loads the CD's just fine but skips like crazy on almost every CD regardless of whether it is scratched at all or not. Quite annoying. I'll have to get some long Q-tips and see if cleaning some things helps...
1999 WJ - Over 10k on the 4.0 rebuild. FB/BDS 2" lift (2.5") w/Bilstein 5125's. General Class Ham...KC0LUA
Burlbook48 sez "Nothing moves a project along faster than cubic dollars." Certified Thread Killer.
I tried this because mine hasn't worked in months, but even after cleaning the sensors all I ever get is "Err" on the head unit. I took the cover off so that I can observe what was happening. It looks like the disk finally goes in, but never spins up. Maybe a bad motor?
Here's a quick video of what I'm talking about.
'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
My cd changer didn't work when I bought it this February. After reading the posts in Jeepforum, I went out and took another look at it. When I would try it before, I too would get the "error" messages. Today, I removed the magazine, and blew air into it-even though it looks very clean inside. I also moved the silver lever up and down a few times. When you do this, you can see the 1/4 inch black plastic gears turning while you move this lever up and down. I went up front and turned on the cd changer. I then re-installed the magazine. It then made a slight "clicking" sound as it tried to pull the first cd into the changer. I knocked on the side of the changer 1 or 2 times, and everything settled, and it began to play. I went back to the drivers seat and cycled through the various functions of the changer through the radio. It has worked ever since. Since the black gears are plastic, maybe at one time they "jumped" the silver lever. Who knows. I'm just glad I got this to work. Hope this trick works for someone else.
Good info. I've actually done this with multiple changers over the years. Every used car I've owned seemed to have a filthy tape deck and changer. Cleaning the tape heads and cd lens is one of the first things I do. Gotta have your music!
"I let the dogs out.”
Ha, at least you guys have the cartridge. Mine did not come with one. Still not sure if I want to spend 80 bucks for one. So far that is the only price I could find. And I did not really look that hard. May just do the ipod mod so I can direct connect my Sirius unit.