First WJ! General questions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > First WJ! General questions!

The best rockers out there! The Billy RockersOur new 3.5" XJ/Cherokee system!!!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
jm1728

First WJ! General questions!

Alright everyone, this is my first WJ and I'm excited to get my hands on one. I currently have a 2011 5.0 fx4 f150 and now this 2004 grand Cherokee Laredo special edition. I actually went to pick up a buddy of mine today who had dropped off his jeep for service at the dealer and happened to spot a trade in sitting in the lot. I've always heard good things about the 4.0 I6 and thought it would be nice to have to take some miles off my truck. The jeep is clean, exterior is amazing. Minor minor scratches, no body rust, and paint looks great. The frame is in great shape and the interior is immaculate. So either the dealer did a great job or the truck is in great shape lol. Either way, I figured for the condition of the body and the price I could always throw another 4.0 in it. The truck currently has 201k on it and I got it for 2800 cash. Now my question is, which oil is best to use on this block over 201k.. I don't want to assume it's been using a full synthetic and I see the manufacturer specifically printed 10w30. I've read a little bit here and there saying mobile 1 high mileage, gtx, or rotella. Truck does have a light tapping when started but that seems to be a common issue. I know this topic has been a great debate just trying to find out what's best for this amount of miles. This engine is new to me, I've had success with 2 5.4L 3v triton motors by ford one with 343k when I sold it and still running today and another with 270k also still running, and I only used the fords recommendations. If I can get another 50-70k out of this jeep ill be a happy happy man and well satisfied jeep owner. Also grabbed a mopar filter as well. Second question, how exactly does this quad-tracII work? Is it essentially awd?

jm1728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
mr312712
MOPAR FOR LIFE

2004 WJ 

Sorry your not talking about a 4.7 V8
247 Transfer Case
04 WJ Overland 4.7 H.O. Inferno Red
mr312712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
jm1728

LOL. My gf would have killed me if I can home with another v8. Tried to get her to get the 5.0 coyote in her mustang but she wouldn't bite so figured this 6 cyl might work in my favor!
jm1728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
new2site
2002 WJ 

With that high mileage put in Pennzoil 10W40 H M
Don't high rev engine and you could make it to 300,000. Piston skirts can go out on these with abuse (high revving- mudding etc..)
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
99JeepGcGuy
1999 WJ 

I put 20w50 in my 4.0. Quiets down the lifter tick like theres no tomorrow. I bet youll get more than 60k out of it if you just take care of it.
And bottom line and not to bust your balls, quadratrac (the 247 Transfer case) sucks Lol.
I have selec trac which has a 2wd option. People commonly do a transfer case swap. Mine is a 242. but i wouldnt worry about swapping it.
And yeah essentially its just AWD all the time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.