Fiancé Smash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fiancé Smash

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
AJ1227
2004 WJ 

Wj Fiancé Smash

Hey guys,

Been so long since I posted I had to create a new account because I couldn't remember username/password and email was out of date! Sooo, my fiancé takes my jeep last weekend to run some errands and skids down a wall at the bank. Damage wasn't severe but enough to be annoying and I wanted everyone's input on possible fixes. (Pics attached)

Current Damage:

1. Scratched/scraped rear bumper (me a while back)

-I have Overland trim so all exterior colors match. It's also silver (tends to fade and hard to match) so I'm not sure how to fix this. I thought of buying a bottle to touch-up paint matching factory color but it was in an accident and rear bumper has been repainted once with body shop having trouble matching (I took it back the first time). Anywhere I could take a paint chip and have someone match the color with auto paint like Home Depot does for walls?

2. Broken passenger mirror glass, scraped housing

-Found new power/heated passenger mirror on eBay for $30- not a problem. I'm getting double vision with headlights on my drivers side mirror and want to fix that as well but powered/heated/auto dim glass only is hard to find and full housing with mirror is expensive (100-150) when what I have technically works. Anyone seen or fixed the double vision before?

3. Scratched/scraped passenger door handles

-Same as number 1 as far as touch up paint. I have seen chrome covers that are peel and stick but I'm afraid they may come off easily and I'm not sure if it will look stupid with chrome overload (wheels, grille, tow hooks, trim strips already). I like the thought of carbon fiber but it may look stupid with silver paint and I'm still worried of the adhesive failing. Anyone have the covers? How well do they hold? Thoughts?

4. Scratched/scraped lower door trim? (Not sure what its called, having trouble finding online)

-This is the wide cover trim at the bottom of the doors. Same as number 1 as far as touch up paint. I'm not sure what to do. If I went with carbon fiber handle covers I could also get the patterned wrap and cover this lower trim with it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

handle.jpeg

lower-trim.jpeg

mirror.jpeg

AJ1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Ha, i would also changed username if that happened to me, lol
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

You know you could just trade her in on a newer model at this point

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
JRobes
2004 WJ 

^this. I'm VERY hesitant to let my gf drive my Jeep in fear of something like this happening. How women are capable of such things is beyond me.
Pearl Black 2004 Overland - OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disco's, JKS Track Bar, IRO Rear Sway Bar Links, Moog TRE's, K&N filter, Audio Aux Input, 10th Anniv. 2013 Rubi Rims, 32.1" BFG KM's, removable rear seat mod
JRobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

One amazing thing about lady is that she loves cars as much as me. She is very cautious while driving and takes great care of them. She actually offered to let me drive her Volvo s60 before I let her drive my WJ. I felt so undeserving

As for the body work: I believe the mirrors are universal. You said you have Overland trim so was your Jeep originally a Laredo? If so it might just be a good excuse to upgrade to the heated mirrors. I believe they are just plug and play. I would avoid the $30 ebay ones though and try and find oem ones in a junkyard. I have a few friends who tried cutting corners with ebay mirrors. You know they brag how they spent on new what I spent on used.. then only to find their mirror glass to have fallen out one night while driving or the glass pivot points to loosen and allowing the mirror to jiggle over bumps.

As for the body trim try finding some matching patch up paint for now and just continue to look for matching trim. Once again, theres nothing wrong with a good excuse for junkyarding.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad View Post
As for the body work: I believe the mirrors are universal. You said you have Overland trim so was your Jeep originally a Laredo? If so it might just be a good excuse to upgrade to the heated mirrors. I believe they are just plug and play. I would avoid the $30 ebay ones though and try and find oem ones in a junkyard. I have a few friends who tried cutting corners with ebay mirrors. You know they brag how they spent on new what I spent on used.. then only to find their mirror glass to have fallen out one night while driving or the glass pivot points to loosen and allowing the mirror to jiggle over bumps.

As for the body trim try finding some matching patch up paint for now and just continue to look for matching trim. Once again, theres nothing wrong with a good excuse for junkyarding.
I'm pretty sure they arent plug and play between the different types of mirrors, easiest to replace with same type of options on mirrors

when he said overland trim he likely meant he had the overland model, referring to it as a trim level like on most cars.

you could use this as an opportunity to paint the bumpers and cladding black and paint the wheel arches too in order to look like fender flares, I've seen it before on this forum and it looks sharp...

I still think you should trade in the GF on one that drives better, or keep that one away from your Jeep! i dont let mine drive mine anymore... now she can continue to wreck her 2012 Mazda and make it look like a 2001 the way she treats it and I could care less! lol

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Check the classified part-out section on here. Champ926 has a new Overland in. He probably has some mirrors. Maybe even door handles.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue_WJ View Post
I'm pretty sure they arent plug and play between the different types of mirrors, easiest to replace with same type of options on mirrors
Actually, the mirrors are plug n play with some minor exceptions. If the door panels have courtesy lights, it uses a different harness from the mirror to the control module. Typically these are red from the models I've been in at the wreckers. If they have courtesy lights, it's yellow or green. one is passenger, one is driver. Can't remember what colour is which. Again, I've seen this on many at the wreckers. I have heated mirrors having the upgraded Laredo trim package, but no courtesy lights. I switched out that harness so that I could put in LED strips. All plug and play. The basic wiring haress will work on heated or none heated mirrors and is triggered by the defrost button for the heated mirrors. I've not seen heated/non-heated that don't interchange yet.

Dimming mirror though is a different animal. If the vehicle came factory with it, the wiring is there. You should be able to put a stock heated one in with no issues. However if you want to upgrade to a self dimming mirror and it didn't come with it, this is not possible. You'll have to hardwire it into your self dimming rearview mirror in order to work. Most auto dim rearview are by gentex. There is a wire that runs to the side mirror so when the rearview dims, the side mirror dims.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1227 View Post
Hey guys,

Been so long since I posted I had to create a new account because I couldn't remember username/password and email was out of date! Sooo, my fiancé takes my jeep last weekend to run some errands and skids down a wall at the bank. Damage wasn't severe but enough to be annoying and I wanted everyone's input on possible fixes. (Pics attached)

Current Damage:

1. Scratched/scraped rear bumper (me a while back)

-I have Overland trim so all exterior colors match. It's also silver (tends to fade and hard to match) so I'm not sure how to fix this. I thought of buying a bottle to touch-up paint matching factory color but it was in an accident and rear bumper has been repainted once with body shop having trouble matching (I took it back the first time). Anywhere I could take a paint chip and have someone match the color with auto paint like Home Depot does for walls?

2. Broken passenger mirror glass, scraped housing

-Found new power/heated passenger mirror on eBay for $30- not a problem. I'm getting double vision with headlights on my drivers side mirror and want to fix that as well but powered/heated/auto dim glass only is hard to find and full housing with mirror is expensive (100-150) when what I have technically works. Anyone seen or fixed the double vision before?

3. Scratched/scraped passenger door handles

-Same as number 1 as far as touch up paint. I have seen chrome covers that are peel and stick but I'm afraid they may come off easily and I'm not sure if it will look stupid with chrome overload (wheels, grille, tow hooks, trim strips already). I like the thought of carbon fiber but it may look stupid with silver paint and I'm still worried of the adhesive failing. Anyone have the covers? How well do they hold? Thoughts?

4. Scratched/scraped lower door trim? (Not sure what its called, having trouble finding online)

-This is the wide cover trim at the bottom of the doors. Same as number 1 as far as touch up paint. I'm not sure what to do. If I went with carbon fiber handle covers I could also get the patterned wrap and cover this lower trim with it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input!
I would be very happy if my WJ had only these imperfections.

IMO just replace the mirror with a used one from the JY and live with the other scratches.

I have a bad experience with the new side mirrors from Ebay. Most of these mirrors when you install them and look at them, you will notice huge difference in the area covered by the mirror between the OEM and the new one from Ebay, in the new one from Ebay there is a huge area can't be seen by that mirror and it makes a dangerous big blind spot (Be Careful)

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
AJ1227
2004 WJ 

Thanks

Thanks for the info on the new eBay mirrors- I was just about to order the replacement. I will go junkyard parts on that.

FYI- my jeep is '04 Overland; I didn't just upgrade trim. My bumpers and handles match the body paint.

So, steering clear of new eBay mirrors seems like good advice but I also need a RB1 nav/radio and instrument cluster is a little wonky on the tach and speedo so I'm gonna buy used on eBay, $350 and $75 respectively unless someone knows where to get working ones for cheaper.

Anybody know about the handle covers I mentioned? I just have a feeling they aren't going to work properly.

I'd love to trade this one in on a new diesel but I need to find a used one before I can afford it. Got this one 3 yrs old with 24k miles, now have 147k. If it can last a couple more years...
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I've always got my guage clusters for $25 at the wreckers pulling my own. Upgraded mine to the white gauge faces, as well as the the g/f.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
AJ1227
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Check the classified part-out section on here. Champ926 has a new Overland in. He probably has some mirrors. Maybe even door handles.
Excellent advice- he responded to my text within minutes and found several things that I was looking for. He also has a silver overland coming in soon that may match my exterior parts. Fingers crossed!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.