few problems with my cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > few problems with my cherokee

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
BlueCobalt
2004 WJ 

few problems with my cherokee

ok first off i am new to jeeps, mostly had chevy sport cars (camaros monte carlos etc) all my life. so hello to everyone as this is my first post.

so i just bought a used 2004 jeep grand cherokee over land edition. i love the thing but i am having a few problems with it.

Problem #1. standard cruise control problem, will turn on but not engage. did some searching online and looks like the most common problem was a vacuum leak. i read that air will only blow through the defroster only and your cruise control light will say it is on but when you set it, it wont engage. but now with my jeep. i do get air through the floor to the defrost and my cruise control light will come on but will not set. i have checked all the fuses and they are all good and checked the vacuum lines and they appear to all be good as well but you never know, so i will have to check those more thoroughly when i have time. as i am moving to new orleans very soon i would love to have the cruise control working on the long drive.... so if anyone can help me with this problem i would be in your debt

problem #2. knock sensors are acting up and says i have an fuel leak (got the codes from turning on and off the key 3 times). now the check engine light came on one time after i gassed up not to long ago and i figure it was because i did not put the gas cap back on properly. but i have tightened the cap and put it on right but the check engine light is still on. is there a way to reset the codes? and i read online the knock sensor codes will come up if i am not using the correct gas (which yes i have been using the cheaper gas). the exact codes are P0325, P0330, and P0442

thanks in advance

BlueCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Greetings Blue and welcome to JeepForum.
The last year for XJ Cherokee production was 2001, so your 2004 is WJ model Grand Cherokee.
I'm going to move your thread to the WJ section where your fellow drivers are most likely to be able to assist you.
Don't forget to update the model info in your profile so people don't get confused, and good luck with the jeep!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Since you have an Overland, your climate system does not use vacuum like the Laredos and Special Editions you were reading about i.e. a vacuum leak wouldn't affect your defrost/etc. I believe the cruise module is still vacuum operated, though, so it's still the primary place I'd look. Take a good look at all the vacuum lines. I think Jeep used the worse rubber they could find for their vacuum hoses as I've had to replace almost all of mine on my '04 while my previous three GMs (6, 8,and 9 years older) all still had original lines in great shape. I think you'll find Mopar does a lot of things different than GM does, if you haven't already.

You can reset codes by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then reconnecting it. Vacuum leaks could very well cause codes as well.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
BlueCobalt
2004 WJ 

ok thanks. ill check the tubes more closely today if i have the time. any chance you have a picture on hand of exactly where i should be looking on the overland? it seems my hoses come off the engine and head to the driver side, but i was reading a post about some hoses under the battery but i dont know if that is for my model since the battery is on the passenger side
BlueCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.