Feed back and ideas would be great - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Feed back and ideas would be great

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
1greg42
2001 WJ 

How can you say this looks better on a white wj? I can't come across any mods that look good on my wj

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
1greg42
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragg View Post

White with black accents look awesome! You kind of have to make it a whole theme, though. It looks a lot better if you go the whole way and get rid of any chrome. Black grille, black emblems, black wheels, or at least silver (no chrome), etc. I'm in the process of doing a chrome delete on my WJ, but I can't black out the wheels until I get my new tires installed and I can't install those until it's lifted in the next few days. Here's a pic of it at stock height with what I currently have done (need new black headlights [not tinted, but black inside as opposed to chrome] and some other details):

Again, need to black out the wheels once lift and new tires are installed, and having the front windows tinted to match helps with the "panda" look as well. Oh, and the rear emblems have been tinted since this pic as well.
Wait...that actually looks great!!
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
esac205
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greg42
How can you say this looks better on a white wj? I can't come across any mods that look good on my wj
Have you not seen some of the WJs on here?
esac205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
1greg42
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esac205 View Post

Have you not seen some of the WJs on here?
I haven't really been looking. But this seems like a look I want to go for on my wj
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
1greg42
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greg42 View Post

I haven't really been looking. But this seems like a look I want to go for on my wj
Maybe some halos would go well also
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
esac205
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greg42

Well you should really look cause there are some badass lookin WJs on here!!!
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #22
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aralph30 View Post
Hey man your car looks great. But I have a question! How did u black out the thing under the grill I want to plasti dip it today but want to know how u did it
Thanks man, looks like you got it figured out before I could answer. Pretty simple, you just tape around the groove and just Plastidip the lower grill portion, then carefully remove the masking tape and paper to cover the bumper from overspray. I want to re-do mine, though. It looks good but I would like a more defined line inside that groove. The groove is about 1/4" wide and I didn't take the time to tape perfectly along one of the edges of the groove. I just taped around the groove willy-nilly so there's Plastidip in painted more or less in the center of the groove or to either side of the groove, etc. Hard to explain, but it doesn't look so clean up real close. No biggie, though. I'm doing an entire front end conversion to the 04 front end with the metal lower grill piece and nicer grill, bumper, etc. Plus either black headlights from an 04 Laredo, or some tasteful black aftermarket projectors.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #23
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Wait...that actually looks great!!
Thanks, man Always wondered why I didn't see people doing that mod. They paint their grilles black all the time, but never paint that lower portion, which really ties things together. I have an aftermarket grill, as you can see, which is kinda H2/H3 Hummer styled. It's not bad, but my favorite looks is the 04 front end. I'll be getting an entire 04 font end as well as some black headlights to match the black/white "Panda" scheme with NO chrome. But for now, I think it looks fairly good. The headlights will come first.

My Jeep will look ten times better in a few days, though. It will have JK Rubicon wheels, which I may leave silver, may paint black as well, or may paint very dark gunmetal grey (I'll use Plastidip if I do either color, so I'll probably end up trying all 3 looks. And yes, Plastidip comes in metallic dark gunmetal, as well as many other custom colors), which will be mounted with 32" Goodyear Duratrac tires and 3.5" lift. That setup, plus the 04 front end conversion, plus some tasteful black projector headlights and tasteful LED tail lights (which just look like stock but more modern with the LED lights and way brighter reverse lights) and some nice black rock-sliders - and my Jeep will be just about perfect to me At least for the time being, and other little mods, of course

Sorry to de-rail the thread, but maybe some of my ideas/plans will be helpful to the OP. For reference, here are examples of the tail lights and headlights I'm considering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-JEEP-G...4d7630&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-JE...493391&vxp=mtr
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
esac205
2001 WJ 

Would this was head lights work with HIDs? And when ya get the taillight a post a pic of them on here. I'd like to see how the look.
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #25
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is directed to me, but I didn't say it looked better on a white WJ. I was just responding to someone to make the point that a black grill can look great on a white WJ, especially if you give the entire Jeep the black and white treatment. I don't necessarily think it looks better on a white WJ, but I think black wheels and black accents are one of the best looks for a white vehicle. I like it much better for my soon-to-be-lifted WJ than the chrome looks, which looks good stock, but wasn't what I was going for as my Jeep transforms into a lifted, off-road styled Jeep.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #26
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Would this was head lights work with HIDs? And when ya get the taillight a post a pic of them on here. I'd like to see how the look.
They do work with HID's, supposedly quite well. Do some searching if you're interested, but I believe that eBay headlights like these used to come with projectors called (I think) Gen 1 or "Gen 1 style" or something like that, and now most of them, at least the good ones, come with a much better designed projector that (I think) is called Gen 3 or something like that. Apparently the older ones didn't work so well with HID's for most people and didn't have the really nice cutoff and still scattered the light too much, etc. But the new ones are supposed to be VERY good, especially considering they're not high end retrofitted projectors. I've seen some pictures of peoples' installs with the newer projectors with HID's and they look super crisp with a super sharp cutoff. I've pretty much heard nothing but great things. They may or may not be quite on par with a new Acura or Audi or whatever with really nice HID's, but they seem to be pretty close and look "legit". Regardless, any projector will be much better than a regular headlight with HID's installed that look like crap and blind people. And even if you don't put HID's in them, the better bulbs and projector are supposed to produce much better lighting with regular style bulbs.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #27
esac205
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragg

They do work with HID's, supposedly quite well. Do some searching if you're interested, but I believe that eBay headlights like these used to come with projectors called (I think) Gen 1 or "Gen 1 style" or something like that, and now most of them, at least the good ones, come with a much better designed projector that (I think) is called Gen 3 or something like that. Apparently the older ones didn't work so well with HID's for most people and didn't have the really nice cutoff and still scattered the light too much, etc. But the new ones are supposed to be VERY good, especially considering they're not high end retrofitted projectors. I've seen some pictures of peoples' installs with the newer projectors with HID's and they look super crisp with a super sharp cutoff. I've pretty much heard nothing but great things. They may or may not be quite on par with a new Acura or Audi or whatever with really nice HID's, but they seem to be pretty close and look "legit". Regardless, any projector will be much better than a regular headlight with HID's installed that look like crap and blind people. And even if you don't put HID's in them, the better bulbs and projector are supposed to produce much better lighting with regular style bulbs.
I already have HIDs and am extremely happy with them even with stock headlights. But I do get alot of people flash me cause they think I have my brights on. And I like the look of these on WJs. But thanks for the info!!!
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #28
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Unfortunately there isn't any aftermarket HID projector headlights in existence. All the projectors I've seen available are designed for halogens. I'm surprised no one has put one out yet. Only way to do them is a proper retrofit. That being said, it isn't really that hard to do with a bit of research and patience. I've done three now and presently working on retrofitting my fogs. Protype is done. Just need time to do the final ones.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #29
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragg View Post
There is only one I've ever seen come close to a HID projector. Not sure what it was though. There are no premade HID projector housings per say that I've yet seen unfortunately though, and retrofitting is the only way to go on for actual HID projectors, unless someone releases one. Problem with housings in general is they get advertised on ebay as being HID in a kit, but they truly aren't. The lights work vastly different, which is why there's such a problem with glare and blinding people and many have no clue to that fact. The actual HID bulb makes a huge difference as well. Always get a quality bulb regardless of the ballast. Also always stick with 4300k or 5000k bulbs. 5000k are whiter, 4300, more yellowish tinged. Anything higher and you lose your light output.

Interesting though, there are a couple of fog projectors due to their design that work well with HID's, if used for fog lights.

Like I always say though, if you're going to go HID, spend the time doing the research before you do it, and know what the differences are and how to do it right. HIDplanet is the best resource from what I've found. A nice retro though goes a long way in giving a WJ a more updated look.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #30
1greg42
2001 WJ 

so any ideas on what i should do with my wj??

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.