Fear overheating the 4.7HO. Losing coolant. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fear overheating the 4.7HO. Losing coolant.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Wj Fear overheating the 4.7HO. Losing coolant.

I'm concerned about some unusual temp activity in my Overland. It's never gone above 210* but I'm concerned because it also seems to be losing coolant.

It usually hovers on the tick mark just to the left of the 210* mark when the coolant reservoir is full, whether I'm on the highway or in the city. I'm pretty comfortable with this temp.

However, if I notice the coolant reservoir getting a little empty, the temp will hit 210* on the highway. Once back in city traffic, it will retreat a little bit to halfway between 210* and the tick to the left.

I never see any drips on the ground below the WJ. However, I sometimes notice coolant just below the pulley of the crankshaft. Checked the waterpump weep hole and it's fine. Water pump is not factory, so it's been replaced by a PO. The radiator also seems to be aftermarket. There's no oil in the coolant.

Any ideas? I would sincerely appreciate it.

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Olese
2000 WJ 

Still sounds like a water pump if coolant is below the front pulley. Can you pressurize the system and watch for the drip? How often do you have to add to the reservoir? How many miles? Has it ever been overheated? Do you see any steam (white smoke) coming from the exhaust?
Olese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Duh

The seals behind the pully leak on occasion to on the pump. See if you can rent a pressure tester from a local parts store. They arent that expensive to buy either, the dreaded harbor freight might even carry one that will work for at least your purpose. You could do a block test if you were worried about the head gaskets-but they arent 100%.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Duh

Also, the timing covers are known to develope issues, cracks and rotted areas that can leak too. Normally around the water pump area.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
JayIV
2004 WJ 

I don't drive it very frequently but I usually have to add coolant about once every two or three weeks. I'm usually working on it that often and I check the reservoir. It's not empty but it's usually much lower than were I left it last.

120,000 miles. Never been overheated to my knowledge but it's a new to me vehicle. Had it about two months now. Very rarely do I see any white smoke coming from the exhaust- about as frequently as I saw it from my last WJ with no known issues. I wouldn't even consider it smoke or steam to be honest, more like fragrant vapor.

I could pressurize the system by bringing it up to temp and watching. I'll report back afterwards.

Again, I'm seeing the leaks below the crankshaft pulley, not below the water pump pulley (I realize they are above one another).

Could either of you link me to the timing cover issues?
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Another common place to slowly lose coolant is the thermostat housing on the lower radiator hose. Its a plastic piece that tends to develop cracks around the bolt holes.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Is it possible for that to trickle down to the location I've mentioned above? I thought they were parallel.
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
JayIV
2004 WJ 

It would be a bummer if I had to replace the timing cover but I would prefer to address it prior to overheating. I've found the set which seems to fit my 2004 Overland here, http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5134142AF.html

Is there anywhere else I can find the cover if I need it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.