False Trans Over Temp Light HELP IM STRANDED - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > False Trans Over Temp Light HELP IM STRANDED

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
B_palmer22

False Trans Over Temp Light HELP IM STRANDED

Hey guys,
Just had my trans replaced at a shop. The shop claims they cant get the trans temp light off even though it Isnt overheating.The Trans over temp light comes on and stays on so it kicks me out of OD. Any way to bypass it? The Jeep is a 99 WJ with an 01-02 motor and the trans they put in was a 99. The trans control module is an 01-02. They have a 99 TCM but it will not take it because of some security code not being right. Anyone have some insight on what needs to happen with the computers? HELLLPPPP IM STRANDED 300 MILES FROM HOME!

Unread 03-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

is this your 4.0? If so, it doesnt have a TCM...

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Grand Cherokee General Discussion Holiday Giveaway
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
B_palmer22

Yeah its a 4.0 I guess they swapped the ECU? reguardless, it still wont take. I really dont want to go to the stealership.
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_palmer22 View Post
Yeah its a 4.0 I guess they swapped the ECU? reguardless, it still wont take. I really dont want to go to the stealership.
Im pretty sure it is vin specific and will need to be reflashed by a dealer. What is wrong with your current PCM?

Im thinking someone didnt plug something in or there is a bad wire going to the sensor.

I swapped my tranny in 4.0 a few months ago. I had a 2000 and the tranny came out of an 03. I had zero issues.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Unread 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
B_palmer22

well when the original trans and motor(99) were pulled 100000 miles ago and a 01 or 02 motor were swapped in. They had to change the ECU then to get the trans to work. So the shop now assumed that they need a 99 ECU when they swapped the 99 trans on to the 01-02 motor. They called me because they are clueless.
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_palmer22 View Post
they are clueless.
Clearly

The year the ECU was made shouldnt have anything to do with it. As long as it worked before, it should work now. There is something on the tranny itself they are missing.

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Unread 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
B_palmer22

idk this thing is a cluster f*&k. I really need to get this sorted out so i can go home. a 4 day trip has turned into a 8 day trip....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.