Factory fog lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory fog lights

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
shanezoid
2002 WJ 

Got the new cover on but I'm going out on a limb here and saying my jeep does not have the factory wiring already there. If its there it sure is hid well. Junkyard time?

shanezoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
This should help you with the install and what parts you will need. Make sure you get the light stalk out of the donor vehicle as well as the security/sensor light. The sensor light is needed for the auto light function to work.

Mopar PDF for install: http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/fog_install.pdf

More info here: http://www.wjjeeps.com/lamps/lampsupgrade.htm#fog
I bought a couple of Sylvania 9005's and could not get them to fit in my fog-lights. It was like the base was different, because I could not get them to go into the housing. I think, they had 9140's in them, so I put those back in and called it a night. It was a PITA, trying to do that by reaching through the wheel cover. All I wanted to do was increase the light output of my fog-lights.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
shanezoid
2002 WJ 

So Im gonna have to get the wiring from a doner car correct?
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

You need to slightly trim the one tab if it won't go. I got mine in ok though withoiut doing it.

On wjjeeps it shows what's need etc for fogs. If you do have the wiring on the light housing side, they maybe up hidden abit plugged binto a retainer that holds them. I've seen several like that done that didn't come with fogs originally.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

[QUOTE="cykaaro;15787965"]You need to slightly trim the one tab if it won't go. I got mine in ok though withoiut doing it.

Which tab?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
image-3615883026.jpg

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #21
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Not sure offhand as I did it a year ago. I just had to coax mine in to fit. To find which one if you can't coax it in, line it up with the housing and you'll easily see what needs to be trimmed.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
XJcory
2004 WJ 

Is it just me or do these style fog lights do absolutely nothing? The ones in my '04 are great, but in my friends '01 limited there is literally almost no difference between having them on or off.
XJcory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #23
Darnice
2004 WJ 

I would look in the under hood fuse box, see if the fog light relay spot even has the wiring run there. Some models do not have wiring for options. It's hit and miss. It maybe just an empty placeholder.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
shanezoid
2002 WJ 

Is the relay under the hood or under the steering column?
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
shanezoid
2002 WJ 

Also just for reference. After walking through a junkyard I have discovered that 99% of the time the only Jeeps with the fog light harness already installed are the ones with auto headlights. Mine doens't have these so there is no pre wired fog plugs which sucks!!!
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
shanezoid
2002 WJ 

Any suggestions on a nice looking aftermarket wiring harness. Thanks Shane.
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Not sure offhand as I did it a year ago. I just had to coax mine in to fit. To find which one if you can't coax it in, line it up with the housing and you'll easily see what needs to be trimmed.
I didn't need to trim mine either.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanezoid View Post
Got the new cover on but I'm going out on a limb here and saying my jeep does not have the factory wiring already there. If its there it sure is hid well. Junkyard time?
I've never seen a WJ without the harness there. If you take your front bumper cover off you'll get a much more clear look. Mine weren't that hidden at all.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #29
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanezoid View Post
Finally got my bumper cover but I cant find the wiring. Any suggestions?? Thanks Shane.
The OEM fog light wiring harnesses should be clipped into plastic termination plugs mounted under the urethane bumper skin on either side of frame/chassis forward of the front fenders. All WJ's have them. My '02 WJ came w/OEM fogs and auto headlights but also had the termination plastic plugs mounted into the frame just like non fog light equipped WJ's. These were not used as the harness's were plugged into the working fogs.

Look for a two wire male fog light plug inserted into a plastic termination receptacle that is mounted into the frame/chassis that goes nowhere.
Raptor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

You could always trace the wiring back on teh narness, then remove and splice into yours. As for the auto lights Not sure, but could grab it and switch it out, You'd have to follow again the wiring harness for the wires for the fog switch to use to keep it looking stock. As for the wiring harness, why? Once you know where to tap into, it's easy enough to make your own. As well could just do it's own circuit running off the batterh and it's own switch. Either that, or do it so they come on when your headlights are on. Just depends what you wire in as a trigger. When we added to my g/f's WJ, we just tapped into the headlights so they come on automatically as long as the headlights are on. Was easiest to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.