Factory fog lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Factory fog lights?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Factory fog lights?

I have a Laredo that didnt come with factory fog lamps.I picked up a set of OEM fog lights at the junkyard today because they were ten bucks. Has anybody on here successfully put these in a Laredo? I think I saw a thread from somebody with a white (?) GC that they out them in but after searching and searching some more I can't find it.

Anybody?

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

I did this.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547394

I just followed the normal procedure as if I bought the mopar fog light kit when i trimmed the bumper holes.

* For the actual wiring I made the harness with 12 gauge wiring. A 30 amp fuse and a relay. The switch is on the gauge cluster bezel and is tapped into the drivers side 12v power outlet (when the engine is off, so is the outlet.. unlike the right one). I snipped the pigtails for the bulbs off a WJ that had factory fogs.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad View Post
I did this.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547394

I just followed the normal procedure as if I bought the mopar fog light kit when i trimmed the bumper holes.

* For the actual wiring I made the harness with 12 gauge wiring. A 30 amp fuse and a relay. The switch is on the gauge cluster bezel and is tapped into the drivers side 12v power outlet (when the engine is off, so is the outlet.. unlike the right one). I snipped the pigtails for the bulbs off a WJ that had factory fogs.
That was the thread I was looking for. It was on JU not jeepform. Guess that explains why I couldn't find it...

Thanks!
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 12-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsWJ View Post
That was the thread I was looking for. It was on JU not jeepform. Guess that explains why I couldn't find it...

Thanks!
My Jeep is light silver though.

Hope it helps you.
Unread 12-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Sohcvtec1995
2001 WJ 

i just purchased a new foglight bumper for 80 bucks shipped and it looks stock not like trash with bolts in it like that thread shows.
Sohcvtec1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Rocklobster
2004 WJ 

If you have the bumper with the round fog light holes you can buy the whole factory set up(lights,wiring,relay,multifunction switch,and auto light sensor) for like $150 it took me less than 3 hours to install
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcvtec1995 View Post
i just purchased a new foglight bumper for 80 bucks shipped and it looks stock not like trash with bolts in it like that thread shows.
Good for you. But I bet the cladding on your Jeep is faded which makes the entire thing look like trash. Or at least your Jeep is now two toned. Great OEM look youve got there Im sure. Btw that $80 bumper is trash too. Much thinner than OEM stuff. But to each his own.

But hey if its an OEM bumper youve got a good buy.
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
ct-snoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Good for you. But I bet the cladding on your Jeep is faded which makes the entire thing look like trash. Or at least your Jeep is now two toned. Great OEM look youve got there Im sure. Btw that $80 bumper is trash too. Much thinner than OEM stuff. But to each his own.

Don't feed the trolls
ct-snoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies! So here's my logic: cut up the stock bumper and see if I can install them as described in the JU thread.

Worst case: I ruin the bumper and have to get a new one (which I would have to do anyway to run the fog lights if I followed some the advice on here, so no big deal). I'd probably end up painting it (and the rest of the cladding) black because I've wanted to do that for a while.

Best case: I have fog lights in the stock bumper. Ta da!

I went ahead and cut up the stock bumper, ran wires back to my switches, tinted the fog lights, and put them in. They look and work great. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Did you buy another bumper and cut the brackets off? As far as trimming the bumper, I did the same thing as if i bought a mopar kit. http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/fog_install.pdf The parts fit like a glove over the holes.

If you do end up using bolts, i would look into using stainless. I see youre front MD too. What kind of switch did you use? Where is it located. (I wish mine could have been a bit more oem to it) My rocker switch is decent on the cluster bezel. I have a few of those laying around and they are pretty easy to come by if i need another. So oh well.
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

All done. I put switches into hole where the ashtray used to be. I have one for the amplifiers that run my subwoofers, one for the auxiliary power outlets in the glove box that run all of the stuff up on my dash, and one for the fog lights. There are two empty holes for the little speaker and light that I want to run to a radar detector mounted under the hood like the old Lamborghinis (I drive through VA a lot, so I can't have it out in the open).

I wired the lights to the cigarette lighter so they turn off when the car does. I did not use a Mopar mounting bracket--I used trim adhesive to hold them in. They're pretty much permanent now

When I get back to school I plan on using the CNC mill to make a brushed aluminum cover for the switches so it looks a little less out of place.

Wiring mess:

Switch panel:

Switch panel installed:

Power supply in the glovebox:

Stuff on the dash:

No fog lights:

Fog lights!:

More fog lights:
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Rocklobster
2004 WJ 

Nice job,dash looks like it belongs in,an air liner lol
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

i want to see someone relocate the stock fogs into the bumper more, like say by the license plate.
I dont run a front plate and will prolly end up cutting out my fogs but would like to relocate them if possible
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Sohcvtec1995
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad View Post

you are wrong in every way possible
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Sohcvtec1995
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-snoman View Post
Don't feed the trolls
How am i a troll? cause i didnt say "oh sweet man that's awesome." How can people think that having bolts hanging out above the fog lights is clean and the correct way to do it? Its funny how people's first reaction to me is that im a troll probably because if my user name. I have heard it all from honda boy, to ricer. But in reality anyone who thinks that hacking up the stock bumper and bolting up parts from another bumper is the right way or "clean" is the real ricer. Seems like the Jeep community is like all the other communities, they all have ricers, and fan boys.

Did anyone ever think maybe just maybe my jeep dose not have faded cladding and that i take care of it since we all know they fade due to the sun, time, and neglect.
I will post pics of my horrible matching, two tone, trash looking bumper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.