extremely low mpg? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > extremely low mpg?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
braddf
2001 WJ 

extremely low mpg?

i have a stock wj with only 93000 on it and all i get is 14.6 mpg? i dont speed (will lose my jeep if i do) take off to what i would consider to be slow and i havent went offroad in a few weeks! ME AND MY WALLET NEED HELP!!!

braddf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

thats better than what i get..
I dont know what your complaining about. its a jeep!
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Thats weird for stock.. Has all maintenance been keep up on? I.E. Spark plugs, oil, axle fluids, trans fluids, greasings, air filter, tire pressure? Pretty sure manufacturer stats only put the mpg at 14 and 16.. They are not fuel smart vehicles, But before i lifter mine i was getting about 16 city 18 highway.
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Replace the fuel filter (it's less than $30). air filter. Spark plugs. use cruise control. maintain proper tire inflation.

I have found (along with a few other forum members) that accelerating quickly seems to be more efficient than dragging *** for a couple hundred yards while you get up to speed (something about the Jeep liking the midrange RPMs more). I have a V8, so I don't know if this applies to the 4.0.

Also, here are some tips for fueling up:
Gas up in the morning (gasoline condenses with the cold temperature at night, so 1 gallon in the morning is more than 1 gallon in the afternoon).
Fill up when you're at 1/2 tank (something to do with the floating roof in most gas tanks keeping the air out).
Fill up on the slowest setting (the faster the gas rushes in, the more turbulent it flows, and the more air it brings with it). More air means more gas evaporation.
onionknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
ZCherokee4x4
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionknight
Replace the fuel filter (it's less than $30). air filter. Spark plugs. use cruise control. maintain proper tire inflation.

I have found (along with a few other forum members) that accelerating quickly seems to be more efficient than dragging *** for a couple hundred yards while you get up to speed (something about the Jeep liking the midrange RPMs more). I have a V8, so I don't know if this applies to the 4.0.

Also, here are some tips for fueling up:
Gas up in the morning (gasoline condenses with the cold temperature at night, so 1 gallon in the morning is more than 1 gallon in the afternoon).
Fill up when you're at 1/2 tank (something to do with the floating roof in most gas tanks keeping the air out).
Fill up on the slowest setting (the faster the gas rushes in, the more turbulent it flows, and the more air it brings with it). More air means more gas evaporation.
Good tips did not know this
ZCherokee4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionknight View Post
Its because the dirt and crap settles and you don't want that in your fuel lines.
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI_VT View Post
Its because the dirt and crap settles and you don't want that in your fuel lines.
Oh yeah, that was why.
onionknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
WJlover
1999 WJ 

welcome to jeep
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionknight View Post

has nothign to do with jeeps. same with every car.
ever wonder why you get the best gas mileage at highway speed?
higher gears get better gas mileage. so the less time you spend in lower gears, the better your mpg will be.

also, dont come to quick stops. try to use your brakes as little as possible when coming to a stop. try to coast to a stop. stopping all that momentum too fast uses gas.
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

It's a jeep. You will be lucky to average much more than that, especially during the winter. My 99 4.7 when I bought it at 90,000 miles barely got over 15 average. Now if it was all highway driving it would get between 18 and 20. If you want something that gets more than 15, sell the jeep and get a car. Btw, I bought my WJ in Greenville, NC and drove all around Mt. Olive and Wallace. So same style of driving as you. I currently average 13mpg with it.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I use a program on my blackberry to track my gas mileage, and recently went to a site called www.fuelly.com which does the same. kind fo neat. Over the past year my avg is 13.5l/100km (my best has been 11.2) which translates to 17.4 mpg/ The interesting thing I've always noticed is my worst gas mileage occurs when I fill up if the tank is over half. If I fill up about the 3/4 mark, which I typically do, my mileage is better. Don't understand that one.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

I use fuel friend on the android and I notice the same thing. Mine has a tick to select if it is a full tank or not but if I fill up with only a half a tank it totally screws up the calculations. One time it said I got 55mpg, yeah right. It is how ever they calculate the mpg. It is better if you fill up at the same level so it has consistent data.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

On the crackberry I use mileage meter. Works pretty good, but doesn't tell you really a reading if you only partially fill. I always do a fill up as its not worth stopping all the time to get gas to put in $20 here and $20 there. I know I could probably go 4 days to work and back on one tank but I fill up after 3 as I don't like running the tank that low. Ends up being typically around the 3/4 mark that way.

I just like that you can easily keep track of how your mileage is, and track it over time. My last fillup sucked, but then again it has been bad weather and I've been driving everywhere in 4WD which can have an effect.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
bigjohnsondohc
2004 WJ 

id be lucky to get 14mpg, I have an 04 4.0 and I average 10.9. Thats after new plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil and being babied.
bigjohnsondohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I'd have the cat and 02 sensors checked. Both can cause bad gas mileage if they are shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.