JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Exhaust mods (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/exhaust-mods-1526524/)

zakary0811 05-21-2013 06:49 PM

Exhaust mods

What muffler should I put on my Jeep, I have been thinking about thrush glasspack because I like the sound of glasspacks. I just want yall's opinion on what I should get. It has the 4.0 I6 in it. Less than $100.

Elite 05-21-2013 07:36 PM

I've ran a magnaflow and also a flowmaster super 44 which I ended up putting a cutout(basically a Y pipe) before the muffler and now I run a straight pipe with the cutout still intact. It's raw and throaty and still could be louder in my book. Each ran me around $80. With all the cats these WJ's have you really don't have to worry too much about being too loud.

brianestep 05-21-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elite (Post 15463608)
I've ran a magnaflow and also a flowmaster super 44 which I ended up putting a cutout(basically a Y pipe) before the muffler and now I run a straight pipe with the cutout still intact. It's raw and throaty and still could be louder in my book. Each ran me around $80. With all the cats these WJ's have you really don't have to worry too much about being too loud.

Only if you have a California emissions WJ. You probably do. The OP probably doesn't. But yea Magnaflow Cat and Flowmaster muffler are a real popular combination. The famous KOLAK exhaust. 2.5" pipe all the way back. Basically the same advantages of airflow as a glasspack, without the JNCO jeans and Faygo.

pinky2252s 05-21-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianestep (Post 15464208)
Only if you have a California emissions WJ. You probably do. The OP probably doesn't. But yea Magnaflow Cat and Flowmaster muffler are a real popular combination. The famous KOLAK exhaust. 2.5" pipe all the way back. Basically the same advantages of airflow as a glasspack, without the JNCO jeans and Faygo.

California emissions doesnt mean that the car was just built for California use, it means that it will pass emissions in CA. I would wager that at least more than half of the WJ's have the 3 cats. Except for the 04's

But yeah Im running no muffler on the 3 cat set up and it isnt too loud. I mean, its LOUD but not louder than any other truck with glass packs.
Im thinking about putting a glasspack on mine..

Quote:

Basically the same advantages of airflow as a glasspack, without the JNCO jeans and Faygo.

:rofl:

brianestep 05-22-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinky2252s (Post 15464227)
California emissions doesnt mean that the car was just built for California use, it means that it will pass emissions in CA. I would wager that at least more than half of the WJ's have the 3 cats. Except for the 04's

Yea yea, I'm just saying... The 3 cats are for Cali emissions. Are they strictly found in California? No.. But I would wager that the concentrational parameters of Cali emission WJs are nearer to California than not. Although I bet we have a bunch here in CO too with the great immigration of failed (and successful) dot-commers in the early 2000's.

aestrad1 05-22-2013 07:30 AM

Running the Kolak set up on the V8 and its great. Not too loud, but nice and deep. Its more than $100, but its worth it

tehgregzor 05-22-2013 10:21 AM

DO NOT put glasspacks on the 4.0. With it being an inline motor, the exhaust flow is constant instead of pulsed like a V setup, so the fiberglass is always vibrating, amkes it sound SUPER ricey. I tried it with a thrush and hated it. If you don't believe me, look it up on youtube. I really like my magnaflow if noise or drone is a concern, it has NONE. If you want louder, keep your cats and straight pipe. The inline 6 sounds pretty good naturally.

ZB_WJ 05-22-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehgregzor
DO NOT put glasspacks on the 4.0. With it being an inline motor, the exhaust flow is constant instead of pulsed like a V setup, so the fiberglass is always vibrating, amkes it sound SUPER ricey. I tried it with a thrush and hated it. If you don't believe me, look it up on youtube. I really like my magnaflow if noise or drone is a concern, it has NONE. If you want louder, keep your cats and straight pipe. The inline 6 sounds pretty good naturally.

I heard a thrush turbo on a 4.0 and thought it sounded pretty good for $45. But I wasn't in it and I didn't hear it driving. But on startup and idle it sounded pretty mean.

ZB_WJ 05-22-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianestep
without the JNCO jeans and Faygo.

:rofl: I don't even think they make JNCO anymore

tehgregzor 05-22-2013 01:21 PM

yeah startup sounds mean, cause of the low idle, which means reduced exhaust output. Once you give it consistent throttle, sound quality greatly decreases from truck vroom to honda brruunnnn

Jeeples 05-22-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

The famous KOLAK exhaust. 2.5" pipe all the way back.

3" pipe makes the panties drop :shhh:

zakary0811 05-22-2013 05:59 PM

So i should do like a 3 inch pipe from the cat.

ssands85 05-22-2013 06:35 PM

I wouldn't go that big on a 4.0, unless your stroked or pushing a few lbs of boost with a turbo.... 3" is gonna be a bit too big to keep the exhaust pulse speed up when your not doing 6k RPM.

zakary0811 05-23-2013 05:33 PM

I just want something louder than stock, but not anything that will cost a lot. I like glass packs because they are cheap and if one breaks you can go get another one, without it costing a fortune to fix.

Elite 05-23-2013 10:52 PM

You should go for a glass pack then. Nothing wrong with them. But also, just like I said earlier, all my exhaust mods where under $100 installed which you said you wanted. Nothing was wrong with any of mine, just kept getting the itch to try new bigger and louder things.

The time now is 10:37 PM.