Exhaust with Clayton Back Half - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Exhaust with Clayton Back Half

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Exhaust with Clayton Back Half

I had heard that I would need to do some exhaust mods to get the Clayton Rear Long Arms to fit, but figured I could at least weld the brackets on. Well, I was wrong - I have a Borla cat-back and discovered that the brackets interfere with the Borla muffler. Since I have to replace some parts anyway, I thought I should keep the Borla catback intact and build something like I had seen others build. Specifically, a shortened assembly of the cat & muffler with a turn-down before the rear axle.

So I went to measure up what was under there and found something odd. The pipe going into my main cat is 2.5", but the outlet is 2.25". This is the factory cat. I've heard that some back pressure is desirable for low end torque, so wondering if that was the reason for the step down. My question - if I go all 2.5", am I going to lose power? Only have the 4.0 - stock 3.55 gears with 32's. It's just acceptable now - don't want to make it worse.

The thought was to replace the OEM cat with a Magnaflow 2.5" in/out and a 2.5" in/out muffler.

2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
adavis39
2002 WJ 

your going to replace your cat with a muffler? IMO i'd cut your exhaust sytem off after the OEM cat and run a small muffler (ull HAVE to to clear the clayton arms) like a flow master hushpower then a turn down. several people run that set up with no issues. it will clear fine and should not hinder performance. If your state laws require your exhaust to clear the rear of the vehicle then you will most likely be looking at a custom piep set up to allow the arms to fully flex. ive got a hushpower that i never installed that i'd sell ya but its a 2.5 in/out. just my two cents
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

I'm also in PA and have a full pipe rear-exit set-up with my Clayton rear 4 link. I sourced a small rectangle offet case, high-flow (but quiet) muffler and its been great. It is high clearance and does not interefere with the rear suspension cycled. A local exhaust shop should be more than competent to handle this task. I will take a few pics of my set-up for you if you'd like.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
I'm also in PA and have a full pipe rear-exit set-up with my Clayton rear 4 link. I sourced a small rectangle offet case, high-flow (but quiet) muffler and its been great. It is high clearance and does not interefere with the rear suspension cycled. A local exhaust shop should be more than competent to handle this task. I will take a few pics of my set-up for you if you'd like.
Would love some pics! Thanks.
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
your going to replace your cat with a muffler? IMO i'd cut your exhaust sytem off after the OEM cat and run a small muffler (ull HAVE to to clear the clayton arms) like a flow master hushpower then a turn down. several people run that set up with no issues. it will clear fine and should not hinder performance. If your state laws require your exhaust to clear the rear of the vehicle then you will most likely be looking at a custom piep set up to allow the arms to fully flex. ive got a hushpower that i never installed that i'd sell ya but its a 2.5 in/out. just my two cents
I wasn't going to replace the cat with a muffler, but a more flat shaped cat from Magnaflow (compared to the almost round OEM one). The idea is to move it toward the motor on the front side of my Clayton front crossmember, then have a decent size muffler with down turn right after the front cross member. (don't want to be louder than the Borla cat-back I have) I'll eventually run a tailpipe out the back, but wanted to do something so I can get to/from my buddies shop (I'm welding the brackets on, but he has a lift/garage so it will be easier to get the arms on/adjusted instead of me working in my gravel driveway LOL)
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
I wasn't going to replace the cat with a muffler, but a more flat shaped cat from Magnaflow (compared to the almost round OEM one). The idea is to move it toward the motor on the front side of my Clayton front crossmember, then have a decent size muffler with down turn right after the front cross member. (don't want to be louder than the Borla cat-back I have) I'll eventually run a tailpipe out the back, but wanted to do something so I can get to/from my buddies shop (I'm welding the brackets on, but he has a lift/garage so it will be easier to get the arms on/adjusted instead of me working in my gravel driveway LOL)
ok, i read that wrong..seemed like thats what you were saying...if you just need to do something temporarily to get to your friends shop then you can just cut it off after the cat. that will give you plenty of room to weld on the brackets and get everything assembled. then you can mess around with your exhaust set up
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
adavis39
2002 WJ 

also, here are some pics of theksmiths set up. i always liked it just havent had time to get around to doing it for mine. but it seems like what you are going for

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...60/index4.html
TNJEEPS.COM

Tags
clayton back half , clayton long arms , exhaust mods , magnaflow , pipe size

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.