Engine swap? (input needed) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine swap? (input needed)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine swap? (input needed)

Well, big surprise, my '99 WJ has a cracked head. Motor has just under 200k. Body is in great shape, no rust, no dents, interior is solid as well.

I have a 2000 XJ with 132,000mi on it, but has the death wobble and some exhaust issues, not a great ride.....etc.

Is the engine swap a plug and play? Will it line up the same?

Jer25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
jpat30

Stuff a Hemi in it, jk, no they are not easily interchangeable from what I know. Best bet find a wj donor.
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh, well, that sucks.

I plan on getting a newer WJ (2006-2007), since I had the doner motor, I wanted to swap it in and try to get a few $$ for it. Hmmm.......maybe I'll just strip it down and try and sell some parts and then junk the rest for a few bucks.
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just did a quick search from a local junk yard, damn, didn't think they would cost that much.

Maybe I should just try a new head and see how that works.
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Someone else on the forum answered the engine swap question pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
And here's an updated version:

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So the engines do interchange.

Thank you.

I asked a local high school shop teacher if it was a project his class would like to do. I should hear back from him once he finds out if he can do it.
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer25 View Post
So the engines do interchange.

Thank you.

I asked a local high school shop teacher if it was a project his class would like to do. I should hear back from him once he finds out if he can do it.
Umm, unless I'm missing something, that post says the xj motor will NOT work in a wj. Tj motor, yes. Xj motor, no.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Umm, unless I'm missing something, that post says the xj motor will NOT work in a wj. Tj motor, yes. Xj motor, no.
Damn, not in the 2nd gen. You're right.
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So, I guess I'm back to getting a new head and trying that.

Wish I had a shop......and the know-how...lol......to do it myself.
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, asked a buddy and he said he knows how to change the cylinder head.

Should I bother with a new one or just get one from the junk yard? I plan on just getting rid of the Jeep once it's in. (I can't sell it as it is knowing the head is cracked)
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer25 View Post
Ahh, well, that sucks.

I plan on getting a newer WJ (2006-2007), since I had the doner motor, I wanted to swap it in and try to get a few $$ for it. Hmmm.......maybe I'll just strip it down and try and sell some parts and then junk the rest for a few bucks.
06-07 would not be a wj. Last ones would be 04. From then on it would be an ugly (IMO) wk.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
06-07 would not be a wj. Last ones would be 04. From then on it would be an ugly (IMO) wk.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Correct sir. WK

I do agree, that body style is my least favorite. Love the new style, but I don't have 40k on hand.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
BigDaveWJ
2000 WJ 

If you are going to get rid of it it is not worth the work in a head swap or new engine. Junk it or part it out.
BigDaveWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Jer25
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveWJ View Post
If you are going to get rid of it it is not worth the work in a head swap or new engine. Junk it or part it out.
You're probably right.

Parting it out seems like a lit of work and time. I do have a set of Kelly Signatures with only like 3k miles on them though, those might be worth trying to sell. Maybe I junk the rest. Gotta call a few yards and see what I can get for it first.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

A head swap that a buddy knows how to change not worth it?? If your buddy really does know what he's doing and you're truly "buddies", buy him a 24 pack, sit around, BS the night away at the cost of prob $200 (and the liquid encouragement of course ) and have ya a running jeep to drive/sell. running you could ask much more (depending on the shape of the rest of the jeep that is). Head swaps aren't that bad!
BigEag205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.