Engine rotates but will not start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine rotates but will not start.

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
pitsy
1999 WJ 

Engine rotates but will not start.

Here's what I know: Battery is good. Fuel pump works, fuel level sender works. Fuel pump relay and ASD relay are good. All fuses in power distribution center are good; all fuses under the dash are good. There is fuel at the rail, but I have not gauged the pressure yet.

I disconnected the ignition coil rail connector and checked for voltage between the DG/OR wire and ground with the key to 'ON'... Zero Volts. Should show system voltage, right?

Also, the instrument cluster illuminates, but doesn't read anything on any of the gauges.

What do I check next? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

This Jeep was driven up north and has 131k miles on it. Wiring in the engine looks clean, but everything underneath this beast is sketchy.

This is my first Jeep, given to me by a family member. It was running a few months ago but it wouldn't start one day so there it sits. Help me get it running so I can drive it!

Last edited by pitsy; 10-10-2013 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: more details
pitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
snoWJ
1999 WJ 

You clean the battery terminal heads? Similar thing happened to me and it was due to corrosion on the neg battery terminal. Cleaned it up and it started back up
snoWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

Also jump start the car using another vehicle. Many times the battery "tests" good, but doesn't have the juice to start the Jeep. If it starts up, it's a bad battery.
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Chris00WJ
2000 WJ 

You say the engine rotates so I'm going to assume that its turning over strongly.

No idea about the voltage at the connection you are asking about, but start with the absolute basics.

For an engine to run you need fuel, spark and compression. If it just stopped running one day without a major incident then compression is likely fine.

Give yourself the best chance you can and get fresh fuel in there. Turn it over for a bit trying to start it and then pull a spark plug. Is it wet with fuel?

If not, you've got a fuel issue.

If so, then its a pretty safe bet its a spark issue.

Does it stumble and try to start at all? Or just turns over and over and over?
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
pitsy
1999 WJ 

OK, more info. The initial problem was a burnt fuel pump, which I've replaced with a new unit. Before there was no fuel pressure at the rail and the pump wouldn't run. After replacing it, the pump runs and there is pressure.

The engine turns over strong, battery terminals are clean. Five gallons of fresh fuel in a clean tank.

The Haynes manual says I should see battery voltage at the wire I mentioned, as it supplies power to the coil rail.

I have until next Tuesday to come up with something to test or replace. Been racking my brains and trying to read the schematic. I SUCK at reading schematics.
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

Have you checked your grounds? Specifically check the ground from the valve cover to the firewall.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
pitsy
1999 WJ 

I have not checked the grounds yet, but I will. However, shouldn't there still be voltage present at the coil rail? I tried with the negative multimeter probe on the block, a body ground, and the battery negative terminal, and the positive lead on the feed wire in the connector.. Zero voltage.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

I suppose. Just suggesting the simple things first. Please post follow up!
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
pitsy
1999 WJ 

No, that's helpful! I feel like it's something obvious, so checking grounds is good advice.

Any idea why the gauges aren't reading? They should at least show battery voltage and fuel level with the key on....

Last edited by pitsy; 10-27-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

That's why I'm suggesting grounds-others have reported the same symptoms. Also, who checked the battery? Just because the voltage is good doesn't mean it has enough power to satify the PCM and start the jeep. Try to jump it with another vehicle. It has worked for others.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
WJ02FNG
2002 WJ 

Please post follow up!
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

My reply to your other thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post16779745) applies here also.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
pitsy
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ02FNG View Post
Please post follow up!
There's no follow-up yet. Sunday is family day and I prob don't have the gas to get out there Tuesday. In the meantime I'm in research mode, learning about the systems involved and formulating hypotheses. There's no real pressure to get it running, other than my GF's dad wanting it off his driveway, and the fact that I enjoy a challenge. I've got an hour free tonight; I'm gonna stare at the wiring diagram and see if something in my brain clicks.
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Go back to the basics.... get a can of starting fluid aerosol (2 is best) and have someone spray the intake (Airbox plumbing off) while you turn it over. That will tell you where the problem is and is not. If it runs, the problem is fuel delivery or bad fuel. If not, the problem is likely after fuel delivery such as electircal, PCM or ignition-related.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you do the key thing to check for codes and get no response there is something wring with the PCM or its communication network.

When you say the instrument cluster gauges are dead do you have anything showing in the odometer display. That cluster is a computer in and of itself. It receives all its info from the network (PCI Buss) that it uses to communicate with all the modules.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.