Engine oil flush question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine oil flush question

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
XHATCHx
2003 WJ 

Engine oil flush question

Has anyone tried the Liquid Wrench 5 minute product? Jeep sat for a year. I thought it was being run while I was deployed but found out it was only started and run for about 15 minutes once or twice a month. Now she's throwing a miss on the number 2. I've done the plugs new PCV want to do the fuel filter and oil change tomorrow. Started thinking I should do an oil flush before changing the oil. Not sure if it will make any difference but also figured it couldn't hurt. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

XHATCHx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
XHATCHx
2003 WJ 

I've also been replacing cracked and rigid vacuum lines.

03 GC Overland 125k
XHATCHx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
damessor92
2000 WJ 

dump a third of a can of seafoam in the gas a third in oil and then take you brake booster line off after the jeep is started and make sure it stays running then shove it in the can and suck the rest into the vacuum lines the white smoke will clear up and everything will be nice and clean
damessor92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
PA55
2003 WJ 

Do NOT put any liquid through your vacuum lines ever, it will hydraulic your engine.
PA55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
PA55
2003 WJ 

With it standing for so long you probably have a sticky valve or a lifter has bled down, an oil additive wont do any harm. Do an oil change and run it for a while it will most likely clear itself.
PA55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Using products that "flush" the engine can do more harm than good. I have seen lots of engines with deposits and adding the cleaner broke these deposits lose and they lodged in oil galleries, lifters, chain tensioners etc. So, its a big risk using there products that clean aggressivly in the OIL can be bad.

Your better off doing an oil change with a high quality detergent oil that gradually cleans away deposits.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Anything other than API motor oil is foreign and does not belong in the crankcase. Run Rotella diesel oil or walmart supertech diesel oil and after several oil changes your engine should be clean as a whistle. If your engine is extremely dirty keep checking the dipstick and when it gets black change the oil. Repeat this process several times until engine cleans up then continue to use diesel oil at normal intervals.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I agree with Darnice and Bigbadwolf. Aggressively breaking loose deposits can be risky, try running the Rotella. I use T6 in just about everything as standard practice including my motorcycle. It has a nice detergent package (as do all the rotella oils as far as I know) so it will will be like a sponge bath by a hot nurse for your engine, rather than being scrubbed with steel wool and blasted by a fire hose.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I'd also suggest just changing the oil with a high detergent oil and just running it. Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum and Mobil 1 High Mileage are all very high in detergents, around 2,600 ppm or more (for reference the average is about 2,100 ppm).

If you prefer conventionals or less expensive options, Pennzoil in the yellow bottle and Rotella (both Shell products) are about 2,400 ppm in detergents.

I don't care for "flushes" myself they are either worthless or too harsh if they are supposed to clean in just a few minutes. The only additive I'd recommend would be Marvel Mystery Oil, it is an oil based cleaner that you add to your oil (in moderation) and you leave it for the full run. It gently and slowly dissolves crud, and doesn't break stuff loose which is a concern with some flushes.
KayCeeJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post

I don't care for "flushes" myself they are either worthless or too harsh if they are supposed to clean in just a few minutes. The only additive I'd recommend would be Marvel Mystery Oil, it is an oil based cleaner that you add to your oil (in moderation) and you leave it for the full run. It gently and slowly dissolves crud, and doesn't break stuff loose which is a concern with some flushes.
IMO MM oil is good stuff and comes in 2nd place to Seafoam but I would only use it in the oil as a last resort. MM has been around for years and back it the day when engines had open crankcase ventilation and low coolant temperature it was used regularly. Today's engines even if moderately maintained do not have these severe sludge issues.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
car5car
2000 WJ 

I use ATF all the time.
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Remove the oil filter, drain it out, reinstall, top off with ATF. Drive for about 100 miles or so, change the oil.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.