Engine Block Heater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Block Heater

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 02-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
somabva
2004 WJ 

Question Engine Block Heater

Does an engine block heater do much to help your Jeep warm up faster (like inside heat, defrost)? I'm going to drain my coolant soon anyway and was thinking about putting one on, but I don't need it just for starting the engine (coldest it gets here is maybe low 20's or high teens for a couple of weeks). I'm only interested in the car heating up faster in the morning.

And to save anyone suggesting it, I don't want to spend the money on a remote start. I was hoping this might be a cheap, if clumsier, alternative.

somabva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
MJohnson92
2000 WJ 

I have one. Though I've never used it, I can't see it being very easy to install...
MJohnson92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Yes it should help. I had one on my diesel. Wish the jeep hd one now. The stroker will get one. A nice trick is to plug t in with a timer. Set the timer to come on a couple hurs before you were to leave for work and shut off a half hour after your normal leave time. That way if you don't go to work that day, i won't stay on too long. Just be eal careful about not forgetting yur plugged in. I know of afew guys that got chaed to work by an orange snake. One guy tokk off a mirror, having looped the cord over it so he would see it and remember to unplug.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

I lived in Alaska for four years and never needed one it warms up in about 7-8 minutes before you leave for work.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
WJWKXJZJ
2007 WK 

^^ x2 Timers are the way to go; make sure it's capable of the electrical load.

I use the block heaters on whatever Jeep will be driven the next day, but doesn't make it into the garage (never my wife's of course) anytime the nighttime temps are below 40 F. A few pennies of electricity (600W heater) is undoubtedly cheaper than burning fuel while idling with prices still where they are. Remote starts or idling gets you 0 mpg. The coolant temp is over 100 F after about 2 hours (when ~30 F ambient). Practically instant heat after you set off. 1/4 mile later, the jacket temps will be upwards of 150. Colder oil from the pan will flow over the hotter cylinder head and in turn, get up to temp faster.

Easy install on the 4.0 while the 4.7 (and 5.7) are not as straightforward. Ask me how I know......

For ~$35, the 4.0 block heater is worth the time to install and then some.
dscn0382w.jpg  

2005 LJ Rubicon.... sold, not forgotten.
WJWKXJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.