Electrical problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical problems...

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Engine dies & other electrical problems

I'm thinking of buying an 02 Limited from a buddy. It's got the straight 6 and it runs and drives good. But he said that they are selling it because the engine will just die sometimes, but it only happens when it's really cold outside.

He said it also has a lot of other small electrical issues, one of the heated seats doesn't work. The power seat memory doesn't work 1/2 of the time but sometimes it does. And he said it's throwing a few codes. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but wanted to see if you guys might know anything about the issue with the engine cutting off when it's cold outside.

What am I getting myself into here?

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

A huge pain in the *** and waste of time. That's just my opinion though, as someone who has had (and still has) electrical issues with his WJ. I haven't had a speedometer in almost 6 months now, among a myriad of other issues like no power windows or auto lights, etc.

There are other WJ's out there. Unless this thing is exceptionally cheap, I wouldn't go for it. There's a reason he is getting rid of it.
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

A nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!! A money pit!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was hoping it might just be a cam or crankshaft position sensor. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
There are other WJ's out there. Unless this thing is exceptionally cheap, I wouldn't go for it. There's a reason he is getting rid of it.
Looks like I'll be able to pick this up in the $3000 range. My wife is set on a dark colored Limited. It's got to be the V8, heated seats, sunroof, leather, etc... There is only 1 for sale in town at a good price and it has body damage and rust so we passed. The rest are all over $7,000. There are plenty of Laredo's and 6 cyl's out there between $4000 and $6000 but that's just not what she's been looking for. This one is, but has issues.

My build thread...
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Do not say we did not warn you.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
Do not say we did not warn you.
So what's the deal with these? Every once in a while you'll just find one with crazy electrical gremlins but some of them are just OK?

Sounds to me like it might just be a bad CPS or an ECU that needs replaced and a little bit of soldering in the heated seats. But again, that's why I asked on here first. What makes you guys think these are not an easy fix? Known problems?

My build thread...
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And I see that you are parting out your 04 due to electrical gremlins. What were you having trouble with?

My build thread...
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

3k?! I paid 3500 for mine that was in 100% working order at the time.

Way overpriced for something that isn't in great working order.
mycreativename is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
And I see that you are parting out your 04 due to electrical gremlins. What were you having trouble with?
My troubles were that all my dash gauges would go haywire, SKIM would come on and shut down the engine, or it would still rum sometimes with the SKIM on. Could not trust it to drive it. It had 317.XXX miles on it and a lot of under carriage rust and I figured I did not want to put the money into it to get it fixed. It also had the major dash wire harness connector all corroded out. New harness was over $1200.
It is now history.

Your looking at a limited with the 4.7 and dual zone A/C. 4.7's I believe are noted for head problems and the dual zone is noted for blend door problems, just to start.

In your original post you said a straight 6 and in your second post a V8, which is it?

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
VBJeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying an 02 Limited from a buddy. It's got the straight 6 and it runs and drives good. But he said that they are selling it because the engine will just die sometimes, but it only happens when it's really cold outside.

He said it also has a lot of other small electrical issues, one of the heated seats doesn't work. The power seat memory doesn't work 1/2 of the time but sometimes it does. And he said it's throwing a few codes. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but wanted to see if you guys might know anything about the issue with the engine cutting off when it's cold outside.

I think it is one thing if the turn signal gets a little funny when its cold but this could be a world of problems. I had similar stuff happen to a vehicle and it was after it had flood damage in it because im in a hurricane zone. Would have had to rewire just about everything inside of it (it was a little car and a lot of water). You never know what is going on but if temperature is a factor you can start by making sure everything has a solid connection.
VBJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
capthowdy575
2000 WJ 

If it was me i would jump on it but I'm also almost a master tech ( just two more test to go) and about 10 years of auto exp under my belt. dealing with electrical issues is pretty easy if you have the time and proper tools and knowledge of testing. Also be it known that finding a wiring harness for these vechs is about as fun as running face first into a wall lol. Do you have a multimeter?
capthowdy575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #12
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
My troubles were that all my dash gauges would go haywire, SKIM would come on and shut down the engine, or it would still rum sometimes with the SKIM on. Could not trust it to drive it. It had 317.XXX miles on it and a lot of under carriage rust and I figured I did not want to put the money into it to get it fixed. It also had the major dash wire harness connector all corroded out. New harness was over $1200.
It is now history.

Your looking at a limited with the 4.7 and dual zone A/C. 4.7's I believe are noted for head problems and the dual zone is noted for blend door problems, just to start.

In your original post you said a straight 6 and in your second post a V8, which is it?
The head problem is from people letting it over heat therefore warping the heads. I'd rather deal with that then the famous cracked head the 4.0s have
Not all limiteds and overlands have blend door problems and honestly, they are easy to fix. Mine is at about 150k and still on the stock blend doors.
Johnyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's the 4.7. I thought it was the 6 but later found out it was the 8. I still haven't even looked at it. We're going to go see it tonight.

My build thread...
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthowdy575 View Post
If it was me i would jump on it but I'm also almost a master tech ( just two more test to go) and about 10 years of auto exp under my belt. dealing with electrical issues is pretty easy if you have the time and proper tools and knowledge of testing. Also be it known that finding a wiring harness for these vechs is about as fun as running face first into a wall lol. Do you have a multimeter?
Yep, I've got a miltimeter. I also don't mind doing a little bit of work. But I really don't want to be doing a little bit of work ALL THE TIME. I'll check it out tonight and get a list of what all isn't working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyre View Post
The head problem is from people letting it over heat therefore warping the heads. I'd rather deal with that then the famous cracked head the 4.0s have
Not all limiteds and overlands have blend door problems and honestly, they are easy to fix. Mine is at about 150k and still on the stock blend doors.
This one does have the blend door problem. At least I think that's what it is. He said it is stuck on cold air. The AC works but not the heater. He replaced the heater core and it didn't fix the problem.

My build thread...
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Yep, I've got a miltimeter. I also don't mind doing a little bit of work. But I really don't want to be doing a little bit of work ALL THE TIME. I'll check it out tonight and get a list of what all isn't working.

This one does have the blend door problem. At least I think that's what it is. He said it is stuck on cold air. The AC works but not the heater. He replaced the heater core and it didn't fix the problem.
Yes that would be the blend door or the actuator that controls it, but most likely the blend door
http://www.jgcparts.com/JeepHeater.html best place to go to buy parts to fix it
Johnyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.