Electrical Problem No Start - Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical Problem No Start - Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
iudelt89
2000 WJ 

Electrical Problem No Start - Help!

So my WJ has been doing some strange things recently, and finally will not start without a jump. A few weeks back I turned on the ignition and the guages started jumping around all over the place and it wouldn't start. No clicking, literally nothing. I turned the key to accessories on and off a few times, let it sit for a minute or two, then it reset itself and started. Everything worked, all power options, radio, guages, etc.

After that point however, the trip meter, avg mpg, and pretty much everything in the overhead computer kept resetting randomly when I would turn the car off then on again. Once it was running though, everything was fine and worked normally.

So fast forward to this morning. The car won't turn over at all, and the guages are bouncing all over the place even when the key is not in the ignition. The interior lights came on, but are extremely dim. There is a clicking sound coming from one of the relays behind the fuse box in the driver's side footwell. I tried disconnecting the battery for a while, no dice. I was able to jump it, and once started, everything worked fine again. As soon as I turned the car off again, the guages started boucing all over the place even with the key out, and once again it will not turn over at all.

I had the alternator and battery tested a couple weeks ago after the first incident, and everything was fine. They recommended I replace the PCI bus and guage cluster due to what I was describing. I was thinking this might be a PCI bus issue, but the symptoms don't match what I've read about it. I don't want to replace the guage cluster, because it works perfectly when the car is running. I'm thinking it could be a bad relay because of the clicking sound, but then why would jumping it work? I am completely at a loss here and I can't seem to find anything about this happening on the forum. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice, I shall fear no import. For torque arte with me."
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
PumaZJ

Still sounds like a battery issue.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Absolute first thing you should do is throughly clean battery cables, and connectors, and then make sure they're tight. Next do the same to the ground on the engine block which comes from the battery. As well check the ground strap that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall. Make sure it's intact, clean and tight. Once this is done, is there any difference in what you're seeing? (although doesn't rule out a bad cable itself)

First thoughts are you could have a ground issue, or somethings grounding/shorting out making things go haywire. Start with the simplest and easiest to do things first and then go from there.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.