Electrical Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical Problem?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Tdh24
2004 WJ 

Electrical Problem?

Hey everyone

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee and today after I turned it off from parking it in parking spot the battery gauge needle and the gas gauge needle started bouncing around like crazy. Going up to max then back down. I tried to start it again and nothing. It doesn't try to crank at all and no electronics work at all (radio, locks, horn, nothing). I checked the ignition and accessory fuses and they looked fine. Could this be a battery? I have never had a battery go out this fast and this intense where not even the locks work. The battery in the Jeep is about 3 years old and is and Advance Auto Gold (Didn't want this brand, but its the only auto parts store in my college town) Any advice would be appreciated.

Tdh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Clean your terminals and reinstall/tighten the crap out of the connections.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdh24 View Post
Hey everyone

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee and today after I turned it off from parking it in parking spot the battery gauge needle and the gas gauge needle started bouncing around like crazy. Going up to max then back down. I tried to start it again and nothing. It doesn't try to crank at all and no electronics work at all (radio, locks, horn, nothing). I checked the ignition and accessory fuses and they looked fine. Could this be a battery? I have never had a battery go out this fast and this intense where not even the locks work. The battery in the Jeep is about 3 years old and is and Advance Auto Gold (Didn't want this brand, but its the only auto parts store in my college town) Any advice would be appreciated.
A quick search yielded 2 NAPA's, 3 Autozones and an OReilly's in Raleigh... Just sayin. While most of Autozones stuff is arguably (or maybe not arguably) inferior to anythig NAPA has, their Duralast Gold batteries are decent, and come with a pretty good warranty as well.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Tdh24
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
A quick search yielded 2 NAPA's, 3 Autozones and an OReilly's in Raleigh... Just sayin. While most of Autozones stuff is arguably (or maybe not arguably) inferior to anythig NAPA has, their Duralast Gold batteries are decent, and come with a pretty good warranty as well.
My college town is Boone not Raleigh, that's my hometown. It was a Sunday and the NAPA here is closed...
Tdh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdh24 View Post
My college town is Boone not Raleigh, that's my hometown. It was a Sunday and the NAPA here is closed...
My mistake friend. Appalachian State? Sears Diehard gets good reviews too, depending on the model. Check your terminals as stated above, then get it tested.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Tyballski
2002 WJ 

My jeep has done the same thing. Your battery should be fine, the issue comes from the black ground wire located in the driver side door (in the boot.) The wire may be loose so you need to check the wiring. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the same thing that happened to me.
Tyballski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

First time I have heard of that happening with the ignition off.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
heitzman
2002 WJ 

The battery connectors "Positive and Negative sides" will probably need replaced. Jeeps are known for this. Just cut them off and replace with new ones. I have done it to both of mine, 1999 and 2004.
heitzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.