Electric window stopped working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electric window stopped working

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
jabberpunch

Electric window stopped working

2004 jeep grand cherokee. I've read several posts where all windows stopped working, but in this case only the driver's side rear window won't work (either from driver seat or back seat). Had the wiring harness in the driver door replaced a couple of years ago. Would like to fix myself, where to start?

jabberpunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
03azwj
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberpunch View Post
2004 jeep grand cherokee. I've read several posts where all windows stopped working, but in this case only the driver's side rear window won't work (either from driver seat or back seat). Had the wiring harness in the driver door replaced a couple of years ago. Would like to fix myself, where to start?
Could be the regulator.
3" OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100, JKS adjustable trackbar, Moog SS, IRO UCA'S & LCA'S, 3/4" front and rear spacers, BFG M/T km LT255/75R17, JK Rubicon takeoffs, 8K HIDS Hi's & Lo's. full Rockford Fosgate set-up, blue l.e.d. interior, clumsy driver
03azwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberpunch View Post
http://www.1aauto.com/auto-repair-installation-videos
Enter Make, model, and year, find the video on how to replace the window regulator.
It's a start and once you have the door panel off, you should be able to determine what's wrong.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
jabberpunch

Can't get to this until the weekend, but thanks a bunch...sounds like a good place to start!
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
trekra
2004 WJ 

Also, simple check- pull the boot that houses the wires between the B pillar and the rear door. Inspect the wires. My right rear did the same thing while on a business trip. Several wires looked like they had been cut clean- either pinched or just wore through quite cleanly. I still need to get in and fix them (maybe tomorrow), but it was easy to temporarily make the connection and try the window switch, which worked great.
trekra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
heitzman
2002 WJ 

I bet you have a broken wire in the drivers door jamb boot.
heitzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
RhinoChaser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzman
I bet you have a broken wire in the drivers door jamb boot.
ditto,, happened to me 3 times. It was the Orange wire. All windows stopped working and dome light wouldn't turn off.
RhinoChaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

I have an 04, and I've had the darn harness wire plug end loosen up 3X over the past 6 years. Mine loosens up under the driverside kick panel, killing the power to the door. Try to reach in there too and wiggle the harness while pressing the window switch. If your window regulator is cooked, we carry new ones. Here's a link to them on our website for yah. Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Window Regualtor

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
CALL TOLL FREE 866-403-3393
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
jabberpunch

You guys were spot on! It was a broken wire in the harness in the drivers door - I didn't think that would be the case because I had a bunch of wiring in there replaced about 2 years ago. Thanks for all the help!
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
theonlyrobertso
2014 JK Wrangler 

permanent fix...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...epair-1488243/
theonlyrobertso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.