Electric fan to replace mechanical fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electric fan to replace mechanical fan

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Wj Electric fan to replace mechanical fan

So I have a 2001 Wj 4.0 and i'm pretty sure my cooling fan clutch is failing, as it stays engaged at all times, and at all speeds/RPM's. So i was looking at replacing the fan clutch itself, and then i started debating other options, such as replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one and just wiring it to a switch on the dash. I also contemplated just removing the mechanical fan and just running the electric one, although i don't wanna risk overheating.

My main reason for swapping out the fans would be to gain a little more power... which i know this has been a debate on here in a couple of threads already, but heres how i know i will gain some power.
- Starting a couple months ago(when I'm guessing the fan clutch started failing) everytime my engine would get around 3000 rpm, my belt would start to squeal.. after investigating it more i noticed when the belt started to squeal the fan would quit accelerating in speed although the engine would continue to accelerate, so i figured the fan was causing the belt to slip on the pulley. well when this would happen, my jeep would lunge forward more and get a little boost. so i am pretty sure i can get some more power

Another reason is because a new fan clutch is $55 around here, and i thought that maybe i could find a decent electric fan for the same price if not cheaper.

SSOO..... What fan would be good for this? are there any replacement kits? is there a specific vehicle i could pull one off of that would work in place of the mechanical one? how should i mount it? what have other peoples' experiences been with this??

just looking for some tips or advice before i start into something.

Thanks in advance! Jeep on!

rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

Our 2001 has a electric and mechanical fan from the factory. I have no idea if it still works. But I'm sure you can find one in a upull yard
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

You should have both the electric fan and the mechanical fan. I have both. My electrical one didn't work until I replaced the fan relay.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Yeah I have both, but the electric fan isn't designed to pull enough air to the engine on its own... So I wanted to replace the mechanical one with a larger electrical one. Something of that sort, or can I just pull the mechanical one ?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloew275 View Post
Yeah I have both, but the electric fan isn't designed to pull enough air to the engine on its own...
...Yes it is. The mechanical fan was only bundled with 4.0 WJ's equipped with the tow package. It's completely optional.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
WJChris01
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah

...Yes it is. The mechanical fan was only bundled with 4.0 WJ's equipped with the tow package. It's completely optional.
My WJ does not have the tow package and it has a mechanical fan.

- 1998 XJ Sport
Bone stock for now......
WJChris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Jimbo_IX
2000 WJ 

When my electric fan disintegrated, I replaced it with a mechanical one. I am much happier with the mechanical one that is always moving air. I've been through 3 South Texas summers with it, and even drove 560miles through the "badlands" to El Paso. Never got above normal temp.
Jimbo_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Well I don't haul anything with mine, most of my driving is 55mph+ so I'm not worried about it over heating... If I feel it is getting too warm then I might put a cooler thermostat in, but now I'm thinking of just pulling the mechanical fan altogether and see how that goes for now,

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah I have both, but the electric fan isn't designed to pull enough air to the engine on its own... So I wanted to replace the mechanical one with a larger electrical one. Something of that sort, or can I just pull the mechanical one ?

Yes it is. My 4.0 only has the elec fan and has never had a over temp problem. I've lived in Tucson and New Mexico with it too. If you have a problem with temps you may have other problems. I used to tow a 16' boat in AZ in the summer without problems.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Well I don't haul anything with mine, most of my driving is 55mph+ so I'm not worried about it over heating... If I feel it is getting too warm then I might put a cooler thermostat in, but now I'm thinking of just pulling the mechanical fan altogether and see how that goes for now,

Why do you think a cooler thermostat would help? Whether you have one that opens fully at 175, 185 or 195 your engine should never get much above 210. If it overheats above 220 it doesn't matter what thermostat you had in because it was fully open by 200.

Also your engine is designed to run at a certain temp. Running a 175 may not allow your engine to reach peak temp during cold weather leading to poor performance and bad fuel economy.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the Input!! I think I'll just pull the mechanical fan and leave it at that.

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris01 View Post
My WJ does not have the tow package and it has a mechanical fan.
Semantics! AFAIK, it was optional regardless. You could either get the tow package and have the fan come with it or order it separately. It may have also been a special edition kinda thing. Not sure.
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I only have the mechanical fan on my Overland with tow pkg. I assumed this was normal?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I removed the mechanical fan and just run the stock electric fan. Have never had a problem yet with overheating.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
perfeng702
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I only have the mechanical fan on my Overland with tow pkg. I assumed this was normal?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
you have the hydraulic fan driven off the p/s pump. it was changed in 02 or something like that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.