E brake/ Parking brake shoe replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Ravie
1999 WJ 

E brake/ Parking brake shoe replacement

So.... What's the trick?

I cannot for the life of me with every ounce of my being get the top spring anywhere in the NEIGHBORHOOD of going into the other hole. You can't have them out of position because the e-brake lever thing is there...you can't put the spring on first cause it won't go between the hub and the lever thingy...

I've done a LOT of brakes in my life and NEVER had this much of a problem.

There HAS to be something I'm missing here.

I hope.

Gurus unite!

1999 WJ - Over 10k on the 4.0 rebuild. FB/BDS 2" lift (2.5") w/Bilstein 5125's. General Class Ham...KC0LUA
Burlbook48 sez "Nothing moves a project along faster than cubic dollars." Certified Thread Killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 PM
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

LOL they suck I was so mad when I did mine and it would have been easy if I had this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Order one it has to be on heavy duty side the smaller ones bend and break.
Put top spring on first and bottom one on last little more room to work with that way I think but really the spring hook is the key just need a good heavy duty one the right tool for the job type of thing.
Here is a good video that I copied on how he did it about half way is the E-brake part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AouuaGaLp2U

On a good note this cleared up some weird noises with my breaks.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 PM
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttech View Post
LOL they suck I was so mad when I did mine and it would have been easy if I had this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Order one it has to be on heavy duty side the smaller ones bend and break. Put top spring on first and bottom one on last little more room to work with that way I think but really the spring hook is the key just need a good heavy duty one the right tool for the job type of thing. Here is a good video that I copied on how he did it about half way is the E-brake part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AouuaGaLp2U On a good note this cleared up some weird noises with my breaks.
One of those came with our trampoline. It is pretty heavy-duty.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons

post #4 of 19 Old 05-18-2014, 02:08 AM
alfaitalia
2004 WJ 

Your doing it wrong. Takes no strength or special tools at all if a little thought is applied. Make sure the adjuster is fully wound in to make poor short as possible. Put the springs on the shoes BEFORE you put them on the backing plate. Takes a little strength to stretch them over the hub....but nowhere near as fiddly as trying to put the springs on afterwards. Easy! I find getting those silly spring clips on that holds them back to the plate far more of a fiddle. Much swearing usually involved!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #5 of 19 Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 AM
bangdupwj59
2003 WJ 

I went through this same thing the other week I was really mad. This is what I would consider the best tool for our jeeps to install the springs http://www.finditparts.com/products/...FQJqMgodOTEA5g. You could also do what alfaitalia said and assemble the springs before installing the the shoes. I have not tried this method yet. It also has the tool on the other end of the handle for the little spring clips that are a pita.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Alfa, I found that that was not possible as the top spring doesn't have enough room between the hub and the top brake lever/equalizer thing.

1999 WJ - Over 10k on the 4.0 rebuild. FB/BDS 2" lift (2.5") w/Bilstein 5125's. General Class Ham...KC0LUA
Burlbook48 sez "Nothing moves a project along faster than cubic dollars." Certified Thread Killer.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-18-2014, 07:40 AM
YrbkMgr
2002 WJ 

I just replaced the rear rotors last weekend, and upon taking one of the rotors off, the brake lining on the leading shoe of the parking brake fell off as I pulled off the rotor. So what started as a simple rotor replacement became the PITA the OP describes. I too watched the video linked by losttech above before doing the job, thankfully, as I was somewhat prepared.

What *I* found to be easiest was to first fasten the shoes with the spring/retainer clip. Then I connected the top spring. After the top spring, I connected the bottom spring - I connected the springs WITHOUT the adjuster in place. Once the springs were on, I was able to use a screw driver and a small prybar to separate the shoes at the bottom, and insert the adjuster. I had put the screwdriver on the bottom shoe, and used my leg to hold it while prying with the prybar on the top shoe. The adjuster went in with no problem.

I used this method after about an hour of fussing with it, using language I didn't know I was capable of. I have a set of brake pliers but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the right angle for the spring to go into that hole.

The FSM describes this procedure:

INSTALLATION
(1) Install shoes on splash shield with hold down
clips and pins. Be sure shoes are properly engaged in
the park brake actuator.
(2) Lubricate and install adjuster screw assembly.
Be sure notched ends of screw assembly are properly
seated on shoes and that star wheel is aligned with
access hole in shield.
(3) Install lower shoe to shoe spring/adjuster
spring. Needle nose pliers can be used to connect
spring to each shoe.
(4) Install the upper shoe to shoe spring/return
spring with brake pliers (Fig. 83).
(5) Install rotor and caliper anchor assembly.
(6) Install anchor bolts and tighten to 90-115 Nm
(66-85 ft. lbs.).
(7) Actuate park brake lever to unlock the park
brake system.
(8) Adjust the parking brake shoes (Fig. 82).
(9) Install wheel and tire assembly.
(10) Lower vehicle and verify correct parking
brake operation.

Here's a picture:
http://www.myoldyearbookcd.com/jeep/wjeshoes.jpg

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Straight 6, 4.0L
post #8 of 19 Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 PM
doityourselfMM
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I, unfortunately, did this job, and for the life of me, cannot remember ANY of it. I think the term is repression/denial. I do seem to remember a struggle, and was concerned that something would slip, and I would put a puncture through my hand. I think it may have come down to brute force in the stretching process.

Stick with it!
post #9 of 19 Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM
nascar09

E brake has the similarities to doing drum brakes...
post #10 of 19 Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar09 View Post
E brake has the similarities to doing drum brakes...
I've never had drum brakes with a spring as horrible as the top spring on our WJ's e-brake. The amount of stretch needed for that much resistance is ridiculous...

post #11 of 19 Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Interesting. I'm glad I came across this thread. I have new parking brake shoes on the shelf at home which I hope to install soon (install will be added to my brake thread write-up). I'll be sure to have a pen and paper nearby to document all the new foul words and phrases I invent.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-19-2014, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Haha, you will, totally. I gotta figure it out this week. Trying really hard to get my wj done for Kansas Rocks this weekend with the wifey. Gotta get my driveshaft shortened this week too.

post #13 of 19 Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 AM
WXman
2001 WJ 

Yet another way the WJ is a terrible design compared to every other Jeep. We fought with the rear brakes on mine until we finally gave up...and that was three guys, one of which was a pro mechanic. Ridiculous trying to get these set properly.

One rainy day I'm going to sit down and make a list of all the ways Jeep took the ZJ and made it worse to come up with the WJ.

'92 YJ - heavily modded
'96 ZJ - heavily modded
'05 KJ CRD Limited - 370 lb./ft. from a 4-cylinder and trail ready. Pure awesomeness.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
post #14 of 19 Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 PM
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I just let Midas take care of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
post #15 of 19 Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Mwahaha. Tackled them in half an hour with a tool I made from something I picked up out of the scrap bin today.

Name:  image-3182341814.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  427.3 KB

You can't tell from this picture but it's about 18" long. Worked awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.