Durabak smooth bedliner on all the plastic cladding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Durabak smooth bedliner on all the plastic cladding

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 08-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Durabak smooth bedliner on all the plastic cladding

Well I finally got around to getting the Durabak smooth bed-liner put on my WJ.
I had a bit of help from my oldest daughter and her friend from down the street. They took off the double sided tape at the bottom of the doors and washed all of the covers and cladding for me.
I used a soft bristle paint brush to get in to the smaller spots but other than that I used a small paint roller that I got from Durabak.
One of the reasons I wanted to use the Durabak is because it's bedliner (waaay stronger than plastic paint) and also because it's UV additive and for the finished gloss look, i really didn't want the faded regular bedliner look. And I have to say that the Durabak black is almost a dead on color match. Enough of my blabbing on to the pics.

before.jpg   side-panels-removed.jpg   alicia-helping.jpg   alicia-micheal-helping.jpg   alicia-helping-2.jpg  

rear-cover-removed.jpg   door-panel.jpg   front-cover.jpg   front-cover2.jpg   rear-cover.jpg  

mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

second set of pics.
close-side-panel.jpg   cover-side.jpg   side.jpg   drivers-side-installed.jpg   front-cover-installed.jpg  

front-cover-installed-close.jpg   left-side-panels-done.jpg   passanger-side-installed.jpg   rear-cover-installed.jpg   finished.jpg  

Unread 08-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

looks great!! i really have to do this to my laredo!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

I have a Laredo just like yours! I was wondering where you bought the durabak? And how hard was it to remove the cladding and putting it back on?
Unread 08-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I performed follow-up inspection of Durabak applications on washroom decks on an Aircraft Carrier that led to Durabak being "Navsea Approved" for application on Naval Vessels. It held up well on the decks of heads and washrooms.
99SK04GTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

It wasn't that hard gettiing the cladding off at all, they just snap in on the top and the bottom has double sided sticky tape that will have to get replaced because it usually get recked when you pull off the cladding. I bought the tape from the auo parts store that sells auto body stuff. I ordered the Durabak off the internet, just google durabak smooth bedliner and it will come right up.
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
DarkStarr
2003 WJ 

Looks like I need some of this for my overland rock rails. The whole thing is black and chrome but the rails are the color of the laredo cladding. It needs to be black and I was already thinking of bedliner, but this seems to be even better than the usual bedliner people use.
DarkStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarr View Post
Looks like I need some of this for my overland rock rails. The whole thing is black and chrome but the rails are the color of the laredo cladding. It needs to be black and I was already thinking of bedliner, but this seems to be even better than the usual bedliner people use.
The Durabak smooth would look really good on those rock rails.
Unread 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It doesn't really seem that smooth... but it is glossy. From a distance, it makes your Laredo look like a Limited.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
It doesn't really seem that smooth... but it is glossy. From a distance, it makes your Laredo look like a Limited.
Well it would have looked smoother if I was able to spray it on instead of the roller, i didn't use the recommended roller either(kids lost it) which is why it has more of a texture to it. I used a roller I bought from home depot that was for smooth finishes and it was the best I could do instead of waiting to order the proper roller from Durabak. I do love to glossy finish compaired to the flat black look of most other bed liners I have seen.
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice i think i might go with this bedliner next time around instead of my herculiner. got a real nice finish look. i like your wj alot.
4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJMike20 View Post
nice i think i might go with this bedliner next time around instead of my herculiner. got a real nice finish look. i like your wj alot.
Thanks Mike. yeah I really like the look of this stuff a lot.
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

I'm debating if I should do the inner wheel wells with it as well, not sure if a gloss bedliner would look good in there or if I should go with regular stuff to off set the colors a bit.
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Well just an update - It's been about 3 months now and this stuff is holding up great! Still has the nice gloss look(when clean) and none of it has peeled or chipped off. I have tested it by pushing another truck(out of gas) with us just bumper to bumper and not a mark. Ran a flat head screw driver down one of the door panels and all good. This stuff is great!
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
whorunit1475

Dang that looks good IMO
whorunit1475 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.