To dump it or not to dump it... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > To dump it or not to dump it...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
SoCal812
1999 WJ 

i was always told with any jeep if it over heats the head gaskets toast lol. i have a jasper crate 4.7 with the original radiator no problems i love it. every once in awhile little stuff popps up but nothing major yet........

SoCal812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
nnovello
2001 WJ 

How much did the jasper crate run you for the 4.7? How many miles have you put on it?
nnovello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnovello View Post
Pretty old thread, but having my first post on it clarifies things a bit...

So i've been driving the 4.0 for three years now with a cracked head (#0331, blegh). I never thought it would last this long, but now at idle i'm at a measly 6 psi for oil pressure. Bearings are way beyond spec., and its time to make a move. Originally the plan was for a stroker, but the tranny is starting to slip pretty bad too, so i'm pretty much done with this truck. Instead of sticking with the 4.0, i've decided I want a bit more oomph, in 8 cylinder form... also it's mostly a DD so I wanna stick with the WJ.

A lot of the 4.7s around here claim to have "new radiators".
Does this basically mean it overheated? Should I avoid these like the plague?

Is it true that if the 4.7 overheats just a little, head gaskets are toast? Really don't wanna run into the same **** I did the last time...

Anything else I should look for in the 4.7?
Glad you got those miles out of it, but yeah, it sounds like you have a lemon. I got my WJ wiith 190k+, and have experienced none of the usual problems attributed to WJs.

I do have a 4.7 though, and if you can find one that was taken care of by the previous owner, had the right coolant and other fluids, you shouldn't do any worse than your current beast.
onionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
SoCal812
1999 WJ 

Quote:
How much did the jasper crate run you for the 4.7? How many miles have you put on it?
i bought this jeep off my brother he had it put in i think he said 3 grand or so. it had 3500 on it when i bought it and now probibaly 10,000
SoCal812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
shepd
2000 WJ 

Quote:
A lot of the 4.7s around here claim to have "new radiators". Does this basically mean it overheated? Should I avoid these like the plague?
The radiators are plastic, which means they crap out over time.

As to if the engine is damaged or not, that depends on how much attention the owner pays. Mine was leaking and I kept it topped off all the time until I replaced it because I was tired of the mess and the leak just got to be too much. That keeps the engine with coolant and thus it's okay as long as the coolant doesn't get so low you get air pockets. Some owners might even replace it right away if they see a leak.

Some others don't pay attention to the coolant or leaks and in that case, the Jeep will warn them they're low on coolant via the EVIC, and when that's ignored, it'll warn them by overheating the engine and leaving you stranded.

The question is, which one of those scenarios happened with that Jeep? And, more than that, I think you'll have a hard time finding a 4.7 Jeep that hasn't had a radiator repair because the things just wear out over time (not that there aren't going to be *some*), so you probably don't have a choice. Plus not everyone is going to bother mentioning they replaced the radiator X number of years ago, they may even just forget.

I guess I just wouldn't worry about it and at least consider a replaced radiator a component that will last you a while longer than a 10 year old part.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
Wenatchee_Kid
2000 WJ 

NNovello (OP), your baby just about has three strikes on it. Machine may be used up.
Without the sludge factor it would be different.
My two cents is to look for a non-lemon without sludgy oil change history and hope for the best.
Wenatchee_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
nnovello
2001 WJ 

I think your right shepd about having new radiators... but:

I test drove one yesterday that had a new radiator put in 6 months ago. The thing ran at 235 the whole time with the fan blowing full speed. I walked.

I guess snooping around this forum so much has made me overly-cautious, perhaps a bit paranoid.
I really feel that people close to the city just don't care for their Jeeps, they just use them to abuse. Time to broaden the search..
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Wenatchee_Kid
2000 WJ 

Quote:
I think your right shepd about having new radiators... but:

I test drove one yesterday that had a new radiator put in 6 months ago. The thing ran at 235 the whole time with the fan blowing full speed. I walked.

I guess snooping around this forum so much has made me overly-cautious, perhaps a bit paranoid.
Hear ya about the over-caution sometimes.
The bold--is that just a thermostat holding it at 235 deg?
Wenatchee_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
nnovello
2001 WJ 

A stuck thermostat wouldn't open at all? and since the fan was on, not sure if that's it. prob. water pump or clogged radiator.. but regardless, the guy had been driving it like that for 6 months, just shows how attentive to details he was. Besides, a bit of body rust turned me off from the get go.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.