Dual Battery Setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dual Battery Setup

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Dual Battery Setup

Anybody running dual batteries? What are you using for an isolator/solenoid? Any ideas?

I run a 1000ca/850cca Red Top Optima in the Jeep.

I found a (very dirty) 870ca/750cca Yellow Top Optima sitting on a trash can by the buggy coral at Wally world the other night, took it home, dropped it in the jeep, and it started right up. I've put a drain on this thing over the weekend, and it still starts great so I don't understand why it was sitting on a trash can. I'm going to trickle-charge it for a few days and then drop it in the Jeep as the primary and use it for a week or so to be sure it's good. (with the Red Top in the back, just in case)

Having it has sparked my interest in a dual battery setup, to run a small air compressor for the tires, and a decent sized inverter, one day a winch, and maybe even the added lighting that's on there. I haven't decided if I'm going to put it in the rear of the Jeep, or do away with my factory air box and put it there.

What specific products do you guys suggest using to charge both batteries, but keep them separated?

On a side note, check the picture in the following link. It shows the second battery in place of the factory air box (on the driver's side. See at the top center of the engine, they've got just a cone filter stuck on there. Is that a good or bad idea? I think it'd be great for keeping water out, but I dunno. If it's not a horrible idea, then I'll probably go with putting the battery under the hood.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1089...45245455oFbuvA

Thanks for the input guys!

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
wildman4x4nut
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use a dual battery current control kit. Here is the one that Painless Wiring makes.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...ll=4x4 OffRoad

But I got mine from Wrangler NW Power PRoducts.
http://www.wranglernw.com/default.aspx?SkinID=2
They don't show the kit on their web site anymore but you can call them.

Cle Elum, WA
wildman@4x4nut.com
www.4x4nut.net
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

second question:

where would you guys mount a second battery? Whats most practical for you?

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
IwishIwasBLOWN

Thumbs up

Im not thread jacking, just chiming in. I also am contemplating a dual battery install, in the engine bay, in the factory box location. I've seen the setup in the webshots pictures on this forum before.

I think it's a dude named duranged. I'd be installing it with the 4.0 in the heep, not the v8. I picked up an intake tube from a 4.0L wrangler (ebay), which comes off the TB and goes across the the passenger side, there I was going to put a cone filter on. That eliminates the wj airbox and frees up the space. My only problem is the battery tray, and if I named the right guy who owns those pictures, Ihope he's lurking around. I'd like to know if the fabbed his tray or picked it up somewhere.

As far as control of the system goes, I had planned on using either a schottky or mosfet based isolator, and a marine battery switch, but a smaller version made by blue sea systems so that i dont have this big red switch under my hood. Blue sea makes a smaller version of the switch, but its rated at 400 ish amps? Good for me. You can self jump and parallel by setting the battery switch to both, or select either battery individually (setting 1 or 2). Thats the only reason i think im going to stay away from the solenoid based solutions. You can only select automatic, off or parallel (self jump). solenoids also bug me with the possibility of crapping out both batteries during paralleling if one battery is that far gone.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but i've actually been really interested in doing this and this has what i've absorbed so far lol.
-1996 Suzuki Katana 600. RIP
-1996 Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD. SOLD
IwishIwasBLOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

subscribed.

I'd probably put dual (sealed) batteries in the spare tire well. But I am very interested in how the wiring for the dual batteries would work out. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to dual battery systems.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
IwishIwasBLOWN

i started reading through the forums on expeditionportal.com, in the support equipment section. those guys have some insane ish on their rigs, but for obvious reasons. some of their dual batt setups are very expensive as far as controls go, some are very simple and cheaper, but not to say any worse in implementation, just different. theres a wj on there with dual batts out back in the spare tire well, with a compressor reserve bottle i think for his onboard air. intricate stuff. but thats a lot of wiring laid out to the back. i actually already have the wiring back there to make this work, but my spare tire well has my spare tire in it.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwishIwasBLOWN View Post
theres a wj on there with dual batts out back in the spare tire well, with a compressor reserve bottle i think for his onboard air. intricate stuff. but thats a lot of wiring laid out to the back.
theksmith. He's here too. And yeah, it is a lot of wiring, and air hose. But he did it pretty nicely, tucking everything up against a frame rail, and using lots of split loom and zip ties.
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
IwishIwasBLOWN

it's definately clean, his wj is clean all over though, really nice setup he has. i just replied to a vendor thread in the vendor forum, wyckoff chrysler jeep parts, and asked if the euro wj's had a battery on the driver's side, and if he had availability for that tray if there is one. if he comes up with a part, im going that route. idk if what im looking for exists. if not, i guess im going to have to do some fab.
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'd rather not use the spare tire well, as I plan to delete it and raise the fuel tank up a bit.

Unread 01-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I'd rather not use the spare tire well, as I plan to delete it and raise the fuel tank up a bit.
Then you will probably have to make a custom box in the rear somehow...

To hook up a secondary battery so that you have 2 you want to wire them in parallel

http://www.12voltbattery.info/index....llel_vs_series

Its kind of an ugly write up but has good info. In any case, wire one ground to the chassis (the rear battery) and wire the positive of that battery to the positive of the under hood battery.

Make a nice battery box and go pick up a beer to celebrate your awesomeness.
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwishIwasBLOWN View Post
it's definately clean, his wj is clean all over though, really nice setup he has. i just replied to a vendor thread in the vendor forum, wyckoff chrysler jeep parts, and asked if the euro wj's had a battery on the driver's side, and if he had availability for that tray if there is one. if he comes up with a part, im going that route. idk if what im looking for exists. if not, i guess im going to have to do some fab.
Let me know if you find a part # for the drivers side battery tray. I am wanting to go that rout too.
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Summit Racing has a pretty nice battery box/battery relocation kit that would work nicely for a 2nd battery mounted in the rear. Pretty cheap, and it will fit a huge battery to boot!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
IwishIwasBLOWN

For those keeping score, i was just hunting around and found a guy doing a diesel engine swap into the wu, he moved the battery from the pass. Side to the driver's side using the stock tray, but modded it a little. Almost all the way down the page in the link.http://www.google.com/m/url?client=m...80/index3.html
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
wildman4x4nut
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Using the battery isolator works but has been found to lose some voltage plus unless you get a high dollar one they have been known to shortout. The Painless wiring batter control system or others like it are the better way to control your battery charge. I have one on my TJ that has been in use since 2006 with no issues.

I would move things around under the hood and either use smaller batteries to fit them together or one on each side like was done. Doing the wiring really isn't that hard and if you buy a kit it will have a wiring diagram with it. If you want to DIY there are many writeups online with wiring diagrams.

Cle Elum, WA
wildman@4x4nut.com
www.4x4nut.net
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
jpaytoncfd

I know this is really old but I just want to point out that you will lose a lot of voltage wiring all the way to the back. I have a second in my truck tool box that is connected to 12 feet of heavy welding leads. At the engine battery connection it is 14 volts. but at the box its only 12.8 volts. So duals up front is the better way to go. Better charging.
jpaytoncfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.