Dry bearing noise in rear end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dry bearing noise in rear end

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
KrisGarner
2002 WJ 

Wj Dry bearing noise in rear end

My "new to me" 2002 Laredo has a noise coming from somewhere in the rear that sounds like a dry rubbing.

I especially hear it at low speeds, when decelerating. At other times, it is still there but not quite as loud. When slowing down, it's not a steady grind, but it kind of pulses, like something is warped. It's not a howl, more like I'm dragging a cardboard box underneath the Jeep. At other times, it is still there but not quite as loud.

I was having some grabbing in the rear when turning, so I replaced the diff fluid and added the Mopar additive. That seems to have cured the grabbing, but not the noise. I didn't notice it when I bought it and have put about 1k miles on it since then and the noise seems to be getting louder. The rear wheels don't seem to have any play like with a bad wheel bearing.

Specs: 2002 Laredo, 4.7, auto, 2WD, 150k miles

Where do I start? Brakes dragging? Wheel bearings? Carrier/pinion bearings?

I talked to Kolak a few days ago about tires and lift, (which I plan on doing in the next couple of weeks). I am going with the IRO 3" and some taller tires to get away from the soccer mom look. I would like to replace whatever is making the noise while I have it all apart for the lift. Plus I want to fix it before I put more stress on it with tires and lift and seriously damage expensive parts.

KrisGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
KrisGarner
2002 WJ 

Also, according to the Mopar Owner site, my VIN came up with:
5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle
Vari-Lok Progressive Rear Axle
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
KrisGarner
2002 WJ 

Anybody have the same issue?
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

I currently have a pulsating scrapping sound now pinpointed to the drivers rear. I think it is the wheel bearing but not 100% sure yet.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
KrisGarner
2002 WJ 

Mine sounds about the same and from the same side. I just put in my order with Kolak for the IRO 3" lift, so I guess I'll find out where it's coming from soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.