Driver's Door Wiring Harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driver's Door Wiring Harness

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
troy70
2002 WJ 

Driver's Door Wiring Harness

Ok, I've lost count on how many times I've had to splice wires back together. Is there a permanent fix for the wiring harness in the drivers door?

I've lost the ground a few times, a few random wires here and there. Today, I lost the 12v line and apparently others... no windows, locks, or mirrors.

After splicing the 12v back together with a new piece of wire, the locks and drivers mirror works, but the windows and passenger mirror still do not work. Then, of course, it started raining with all 4 windows down a few inches, then it got dark.

So, tomorrow, I'm taking it to a friends shop and hopefully they can patch me back together properly.

My question... is there a permanent fix to this crap? I'm tired of fixing this damned thing every year or so.

Thanks!

-Troy

troy70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
greeky510
2000 WJ 

Use the correct size of wire, make sure all the connections are made in the door and the cabin and not in the actual boot. Then find some wire safe lubricant and spray the cables and the inside of the boot.
Also make sure the wires are able to move back and forth when you pull them from the cabin or from the door, that will help relieve the stress on the cables.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
greeky510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Road_Kill
1999 WJ 

I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!! I replaced the drivers side window slide assembly last weekend now some locks and windows don't work!!! Found previously spliced wires in the drivers door boot so gonna pull panel again this weekend and check wires, plugs and anything else i might have screwed up when I had it off last time!!

There is just no fricking room to work in that door boot............gonna be a challenge!!!!!!!!! Hopefully my problem is in the door itself!!!!
Road_Kill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Unfortunatly that wiring gets old and brittle. I had a customer come in twice in less than 6 months for virtually the same problem. I guess I should have pulled the boot back a little further the first time i splice repaired the ground and I would have noticed all the cracked wires. ANyways. You can't replace with new oem or else you will be buying a whole body harness. I have purchased all the correct gauge wiring, followed the loom up into the dash and soldered in a new homemade harness. Never came back after that.
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
troy70
2002 WJ 

I cannot believe that the engineers at Chrysler couldn't foresee this issue and made an assembly 18-24" long with plugs on both ends that could be easily replaced. Not enough room on the inside for the slack, but there's plenty of space in the door (as long as it's tied back so it doesn't snag on the window).

I'm probably going to end up building my own... but I dunno... working in the boot is bad enough, working under the dash is even harder. Maybe when I get a DD and start a serious build, I'll start by stripping the interior for a complete rebuild/repair job.

---

Had fun this morning taking it to the shop... damned ECU had to relearn how to idle... took 5 restarts just to drive a half mile. Guess I need to find and fix that vacuum leak too. If only I had another DD and a garage.
troy70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
theonlyrobertso
2014 JK Wrangler 

Permanent Fix here...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...epair-1488243/
theonlyrobertso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.