Driver's Door Controls - Do Not Work with Door OPEN. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driver's Door Controls - Do Not Work with Door OPEN.

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
infinitempg
2009 XJ Cherokee 

Driver's Door Controls - Do Not Work with Door OPEN.

Just wanted to pass along this info and all my many thanks to the people of this forum. I have been plagued for a long, long time with an issue with the driver's side door on my '03 Grand Cherokee. When the door was open, none of the controls would work for the windows or locks. Always drove me nuts. Someone in here suggested it might be a broke wire in the door hinge area so I opened the door, wiggled on the wire harness and tried the windows and nothing. Then I closed the door and still nothing, so I figured I had finished what was already started.

Pulled the door panel off and found the door connector was held in place with a small tab top and bottom. reached in and pushed on these and out popped the connector. A small tab held the wire holder in the harness so I pulled on that and the wire connector pulled right out. When I pulled the connector out look what I found :

The large black wire was completely broke in half. So I stripped the wire, crimped on an industrial wire splice and then it looked like this :

And everything WORKS even with the door OPEN!

MANY MANY THANKS!!!

infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

good job...my 4.0 04 has this problem right now. I haven't taken the time to do anything about it.

My wires 4.7 04 tho has both from doors wiring redone. It looked as if someone cut them on purpose and then tried to fix. My dad and I added wiring from a wrecked Jeep to keep them from breaking. I think the wires are cheaply designed and crack easily.

We soldered them in and so far for the last 5 months they have been trouble free.
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
4Tom
2001 WJ 

had the very same problem.

The thick orange/white power cable was broken and black wire was damaged (bulged at on point) so I repaired both.

I cut the cable and pulled one end back into the body soldered on additional cable and insulated with heat-shrink feed it back through rubber and soldered to other end.

I had been putting it off for months until if finally broke and I lost all control.
was a simple job in end.

great photos should help others as pictures speak a thousand words

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
isaacson

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. If I took a picture my black wire would have been cut off in the same place. Much appreciated.
isaacson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.