Driver Side Rocker rust and Rot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driver Side Rocker rust and Rot

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 03-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Lemoncrevice
2000 WJ 

Driver Side Rocker rust and Rot

So I was underneath my 2000 wj the other day doing a routine oil change and noticed a few little rust bubbles in the undercoat on the underside of my rocker panel. I tapped it lightly with the end of my wrench and the rocker crumbled to bits i continued looking along the rocker and noticed that the rust is covering aboutt 65% of the rocker and clearly in need of a fix.

This is where i came to you guys for help, I was wondering what i should do next?

I was thinking the the first cutting away any and all rust in rot from the rocker to prevent it from spreading. but of course i cannot leave this open cavity and im not thinking a giant tub of bondo is really what i am looking for. So any suggestions that might not require me to weld in a new rocker all together?

Thanks,

and i forgot to mention also when wheeling the other day i managed to get a pretty decent dent in the same rocker so rocker gaurds/ rock sliders are soon to be on the way

Unread 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Instead of repairing the rockers and then getting sliders you can cut the rockers off completely and replace them with (custom) rocker sliders. Lots of guys have done this and you save yourself at least a couple inches of clearance compared to the traditional bolt-on sliders.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

ah good old new england rust

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Weld in rock sliders or weld in new rockers. Those are your only repair choices.
This isn't going to be fixed with tin, rivets, and bondo.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
ruggedscotsman
2000 WJ 

i came across the same thing on mine when dealing with failing brake lines. If you search rocker here and on mallcrawlin you'll find a number of great threads showing how some people have fixed the problem.
ruggedscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.