Driver mirror goes left-right but not up-down - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
gizmosmith

Driver mirror goes left-right but not up-down

Grand Cherokee 2012 Overland

I took the glass off the mirror to see the motor behind. I can see it move left and right and hear it while it does so. I can't hear any motor strain or anything when I try to go up and down. Just, nothing.

I took the button control pad out of the arm rest and took it apart. Everything looks good there.

Are there other troubleshooting steps I can try? Is the left-right separately fused from the up-down?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 02:43 PM
skipperau

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmosmith View Post
Grand Cherokee 2012 Overland

I took the glass off the mirror to see the motor behind. I can see it move left and right and hear it while it does so. I can't hear any motor strain or anything when I try to go up and down. Just, nothing.

I took the button control pad out of the arm rest and took it apart. Everything looks good there.

Are there other troubleshooting steps I can try? Is the left-right separately fused from the up-down?

Did you check the switch with a multimeter? It's possible for the contacts to be dirty/carboned up without any external signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
gizmosmith

Is there a pinout diagram or schematic for it I could use to check it out?

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 03:25 PM
sdjp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd check the condition of the wiring in the crux of door going from the body to the door just as a precaution. Then I'd pull the door panel (look on WJ jeeps for an exact how to), and use a multimeter to check and track where the wiring stops sending power, or if the motor blew somehow, etc.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 03:42 PM
sdjp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are pin diagrams online if you Google around; just be aware there are some slight variations on certain year/ model WJ's, so just be sure you're looking at the right one.

If you haven't opened the door panel before; it can look intimidating with all the wiring but after checking for a break in the door crux wiring (pull back the black rubber boot and inspect wires...be warned it's a bit of a pain to get back on) my first go to would be the wiring from the side view mirror to the plug that is directly underneath your window controls.

Keep troubleshooting and you'll find the source, it's not black magic. Hopefully just a loose or dusty connection, or a broken wire that needs a splice. Good luck.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 06:32 PM
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

At least rolling down the window and applying finger pressure to locate it correctly is easily accomplished.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 PM
fastblack
2000 WJ 

2012? Try asking around in the WK2 section of the forum. Might be a common problem with that era Grand Cherokees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.