Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Double din radio

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Acc0919mc 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
It is absolutely worth doing, especially for a navigation unit. Mine has been invaluable since I put it in a few years ago. The interior dash modifications aren't difficult and aren't noticeable after installation. When I did the upgrade there weren't many options - either buy a weak bezel from one company, or fab your own. There are a few better (and much cheaper) bezel options now if you don't have the time or skills for fab work. I thought about going with the RB1 for nav and a factory fit, but it is too limited for what I want out of a head unit.
Google maps on my phone is great, but i like having the larger nav screen in the dash that attenuates whatever I'm listening to with directions. Bluetooth functionality with a hidden dash mic is also a responsible option compared to holding your phone or trying to talk via speakerphone.

#6 ·
Yup, anyone who thinks the RB1 is useful for navigation is lying to themselves. Mine came with one stock and still had the 2004 disc in it. Worthless. Hell, Google Maps can barely keep up with the road contruction they've done around my area in the past few years. Besides that, the screen is smaller and has worse resolution than my last couple cell phones.

I thought about doing the Double din conversion, but already had a single din head unit to use. I'll probably end up doing it in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.