Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

I just called them with the tech support number on this page
http://www.dormanproducts.com/dispst...D_contact.html

I told them about this thread, specifically if they are dormant on the shelves and how they retrain. Then I asked if the batteries could die on the shelves if they're dormant, below is their response.

"They are in "sleep mode" when we ship to retailers and the only thing that takes them out is being pressurized. After being pressurized they should train like factory OEM"

TJSWJ, it's possible the two you have that trained without pressure were returned by someone else or have problems.

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Thats my point exactly. If they are shipped in "sleep mode", why was the OP (who received 2 sensors fresh from doorman) able to train them right out of the box? When he pulled them out of the box they should have needed to be pressurized in order to take them out of "sleep mode" and activate them. He merly took them out of the box, held them in his hand and put a magnet to them and they trained. That tells me that they werent shipped in "sleep mode", they were shipped as active sensors. Which would in turn explain why the OP and I have had problems with bad sensors straight out of the box. The batteries were dead.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #33
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Something for the OP to ask Dorman.. I'm just relaying what they just told me on the phone...
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
gto5288
2002 WJ 

OK guys, to be more specific, the Dorman tech I spoke with said they had some issues with a batch of sensors not going into sleep mode.
Basically they were active just sitting on the shelves, allowing the batteries to die.
This is why they offered to send me two replacements.
As for training out of the box, placing a magnet on the sensor wakes it up, I lightly tapped the new sensor with the magnet for about 30 seconds and that seemed to wake it up.
I can verify it did go back to sleep mode after 10 minutes, as I was not able to leave for the tire shop right away after it trained.
When I started the Jeep to go to the tire shop, it said the sensor was missing again, all I had to do was put the magnet near it right there in the seat, it began transmitting and the EVIC picked it up again (showing 0 pressure).
Also verified the sensor transmitting by magnet activation via the EVIC tpms diagnostic screen, without the magnet it was not transmitting, placing it on the magnet activated it.
The Dorman sensors have pressure, magnetic, and motion activation switching for battery conservation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.