Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

About a week after I bought my XJ, one of the sensors started reading as 'bad/missing' on the EVIC. Retrained them all and the error didn't go away. I'm assuming its the spare because the other four are showing air pressures when I check it on the EVIC. Any way to 'force' them to train?

Unread 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
GeeEssFore

No if its bad its bad. If it won't send signal to module it will not do a complete relearn.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
I've not had good luck with the Dorman sensors, honestly. I've had two not want to train of the 5 I bought. I did get them to train by tapping them with a wrench and then sticking the magnet up to them. I was also advised to try driving around a bit first. The mechanism they use gets stuck and hitting it with a wrench breaks it loose long enough to train. From there, the sensor worked perfectly fine until I went to rotate my tires and ran into the same issue.
x2 Ive had 3 doorman sensors that have been bad right out of the box.
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
About a week after I bought my XJ, one of the sensors started reading as 'bad/missing' on the EVIC. Retrained them all and the error didn't go away. I'm assuming its the spare because the other four are showing air pressures when I check it on the EVIC. Any way to 'force' them to train?
That's what it does when one of the batteries gets low. There really isn't a conclusive way to figure out which one is the problem, so you have to replace them all. Not that horrible considering even if you replaced the bad one, assuming they're all the same age, they're going to die one after another until they're all replaced anyway.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
That's what it does when one of the batteries gets low. There really isn't a conclusive way to figure out which one is the problem, so you have to replace them all. Not that horrible considering even if you replaced the bad one, assuming they're all the same age, they're going to die one after another until they're all replaced anyway.
will it let you try a retrain? If so, shouldn't it train normally until you get to the bad unit, then you know which one is bad.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
will it let you try a retrain? If so, shouldn't it train normally until you get to the bad unit, then you know which one is bad.
You would think so, but they'll still train just fine long after the EVIC starts complaining of BAD/MISSING TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR. There is also a diagnostic mode in the EVIC where you can monitor in real time how many times the tires communicate with the EVIC. You'd think running that for an hour long drive and replacing the one that communicated the least would do it, but again, in my experience, they all had nearly the same number of communications, and everything retrained just fine. Note that the spare communicates much less than the rest as they send signals more often when spinning, about once an hour. I initially saw that on the EVIC and replaced the spare sensor, only to find that I still had the issue. Replacing the other four sensors fixed the problem.
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

yeah.. when my evic was giving me that bad sensor message it still showed air pressure for all 4 tires, so I just assumed it was my spare that was bad. Never got to test my theory though b/c I replaced them all shortly after when I got new tires mounted.
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

Chances are it wasn't your spare anyway, especially if you don't include it on your normal rotations. Since the spare only communicates every 45 min - 1 hour vs. the rest at every couple minutes, it sees the least battery drain. There is also the largest margin of error for it communicating with the EVIC due to that fact.
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
gto5288
2002 WJ 

Update:
I was able to exchange the Dorman sensor for a replacement, guess what, second sensor refuses to train as well.
I have verified there are no stored trouble codes in the system which would prevent relearn of a new sensor.
After nearly two weeks of back and forth calls with Dorman tech support, they are sending me two "fresh" sensors from the factory warehouse.
Dorman is adamant the sensors should train right away with a magnet.
No word yet on if or how they are going to reimburse me for three trips to the tire shop for install and tire remounting.
Pretty aggravating for what should be a simple "plug & play" sensor replacement.
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
GeeEssFore

You need to find a better shop that can train them with a bartec scanner and train for you. We don't even charge to do it
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeEssFore View Post
You need to find a better shop that can train them with a bartec scanner and train for you. We don't even charge to do it
It has nothing to do with the shop being bad and you don't need the scanner. The Dorman sensors train just like the factory ones, with the magnet like they're saying.
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
GeeEssFore

I know this but most aftermarket sensors that train with magnet. Dorman , orange electronics and siemens. The first time training its easier to train with a bartec. They go into a "sleep" mode. I work with all brands and have dealt with these for years.
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
gto5288
2002 WJ 

Received two new sensors direct from Dorman yesterday, they trained to the jeep right out of the box!!!
I did not even have to install them to be under pressure, just held the magnet to the sensor and it trained immediately.
Too bad there is no way to tell how long they have been sitting at any particular distributor when you order them.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

From what I understand, when they're sitting on the shelf (untrained) they're dormant... so it shouldn't have any appreciable drain on the battery.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto5288 View Post
Received two new sensors direct from Dorman yesterday, they trained to the jeep right out of the box!!!
I did not even have to install them to be under pressure, just held the magnet to the sensor and it trained immediately.
Too bad there is no way to tell how long they have been sitting at any particular distributor when you order them.
If they trained immediately without being pressurized, thats the problem. If they are packaged "active" the batteries are being used throught the process of being packaged, shipped to stores, sitting on the shelf, and then sold to the customer. That would explain why we have been having problems with doorman sensors as well.

Most sensors will not turn on untill the have been pressurized. We even have a little pressure box we can put them into to activate them before putting them in a customers tire.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.