Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
gto5288
2002 WJ 

Dorman TPMS will not train, need help troubshooting

Had one of my OE 2002 TPMS sensors going bad and slow leak from the stem, so figured I would just have it replaced with a new one. Ordered a Dorman 974002 as other threads said these work, and will retrain using EVIC and magnet.

I cannot get the new sensor to train at all. I have tried different magnets, all the way up to a 12" sub magnet. Each time I get around to the new sensor it won't train and the EVIC aborts training.

The other strange thing is the EVIC shows low/zero pressure for that tire, it does not say missing/bad sensor! And, no the old sensor is not within 200ft of the vehicle.

Any thoughts on how to get this thing working???
Thanks!

Unread 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Red350ss
2004 WJ 

Sounds like a bad sensor, assuming your others are training. I have had a bad Dorman right out of the box, it happens. After i got the first bad one, I tested the other one before leaving the parking lot. Sit in your jeep, stick the magnet on it and see if it trains before you even mount inside tire.
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

I'd call Dorman... I have 5 and all mine trained without issue.
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

I've not had good luck with the Dorman sensors, honestly. I've had two not want to train of the 5 I bought. I did get them to train by tapping them with a wrench and then sticking the magnet up to them. I was also advised to try driving around a bit first. The mechanism they use gets stuck and hitting it with a wrench breaks it loose long enough to train. From there, the sensor worked perfectly fine until I went to rotate my tires and ran into the same issue.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Not much I can add other than the EVIC will retain data from a sensor for a while even if you are not near it. When I swapped my wheel/tire set and put the old ones in my shed the jeep would pick up one of the sensors when I parked in the driveway. It would hold that pressure number for most of the day even when I was 30 miles away at work. Eventually it would clear it, but it took a while.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the lamp in the IP?

If you pay attention to your driving, you don't need TPMS. If you don't pay attention to your driving, how is a little yellow light going to bring your attention to it? Given the number of caution & warning lamps I see lit on people's dashboards while I'm out, one more won't help.
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

There is no lamp in a wj, it's all in the evic. But while you're at it, why not pull your whole dash. Who needs annoying distractions like temp and oil pressure gauges, speedometer, radio displays, or rear view mirrors. They're just nuisances.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Pull the lamp in the IP?

If you pay attention to your driving, you don't need TPMS. If you don't pay attention to your driving, how is a little yellow light going to bring your attention to it? Given the number of caution & warning lamps I see lit on people's dashboards while I'm out, one more won't help.
The Jeep beeps and displays "LEFT FRONT TIRE UNDER PRESSURE" or similar on the EVIC. There is no generic instrument panel light like Lexus' and such have.
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
gto5288
2002 WJ 

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have driven about 30 miles since the new sensor was mounted yesterday, and the EVIC finally realized the old sensor is missing. The new sensor still will not train with the magnet, I am going to try pulling the tire again to check (and tap) the sensor to see if it will wake up. If not I guess I'll have to return it as a bad sensor to begin with...
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

FWIW, I tapped the sensor while installed in the inflated tire and it woke up long enough for me to train it. But I'd still suggest getting a new one as it will probably act up next time you rotate.
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
gto5288
2002 WJ 

Thanks Schlotzky, where did you "tap" on the sensor? I have tried beating on the wheel with a rubber mallet in the area of the valve stem, beating on the tire itself, and lightly tapping on the hex head of the valve stem, still not getting any response to retraining.
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

I used the magnet of a 6x9 speaker, took the cap off and beat on the stem itself with the magnet during the training process on that wheel.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
gto5288
2002 WJ 

OK, so tapping is not helping, I have a buddy at a shop with a TPMS frequency tester and it picked up a signal from the sensor, and it matches the frequency of the other OE sensors. So it is transmitting a signal, but for some reason not willing to train. I guess it's just a bad part out of the box unfortunately....
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah, probably. Fortunately Dorman backs them with a lifetime warranty, but it's still a hassle.
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
GeeEssFore

Sometimes you can trick it while relearning. Basically once you get to the new one place the magnet over stem while adding air to it. Once relearn is over just put pressure back to reccommended psi.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.