JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Door Window switch mod (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/door-window-switch-mod-1526548/)

scross1220 05-21-2013 07:25 PM

Door Window switch mod

1 Attachment(s)
So today I decided to dive on in and take my door windows switch apart and replace those drab pale almost non eluminated green LED's and install some blue vibrant LED's in their place and add some carbon fiber bling. The install was not to hard and if you know how to use a soldering iron chances are that you can do this mod yourself in no time. Here is a look.:2thumbsup:

dcorn 05-22-2013 06:21 AM

Nice. Now figure out a way to make all the window switches auto up and down. :D

Jaketit 05-22-2013 07:29 AM

How many tries did it take you to wrap it?

scross1220 05-22-2013 10:48 AM

One so far. I used a heat gun after I applied it. The trick also is to use a little water to get it piece in position and the heat gun to set it in place.

A_Cadilli 05-22-2013 11:19 AM

Very cool! 👍 That CArbon job is flawless. Good work. And really digging the blue. I'd love to switch all my LEDs to white

ZB_WJ 05-22-2013 12:17 PM

Nice, except there is no write up yet

scross1220 05-22-2013 05:58 PM

I am now working on the writeup. I have to retake the photos with a real camera because I cant get close in with my iPhone. I will have to open my spare switch unit back up to do so. I will tell you that you will need 9 or the 3mm blue or whatever color LED's you want to use. They must be rated to operate between 3.3 and 4.0 volts DC. All of the nine LEDs are soldered into the PCB so care will have to be taken when removing them or you will wreck the PCB. I have found that blue and red works best but there are some green LEDs that are bright enough. All the LED's can be purchased at RadioShack but I like to get mine on eBay because I buy in bulk. When opening the unit just sliding a flat blade screwdriver will suffice but you will need to melt the plactic tabs on the back of the PCB that hold the switch assemble with a slodering iron to get the board free. There are 8 of these tabs that we speak of. You need to take care of not droping the switch tabs that are in the switch assembley becasuse when you remove the switch PCB the tabs will fall out when you turn the assembly over. They are easy to put back but there is a metal tab on the auto window switch which is tricky to put back in if it falls out so make a note on how it is positioned before you take things apart. Asembley is in reverse and besure to remelt the plastic tabs on the back of the switch PCB before you button things up. I promise to do a thorough write up asap I just have to take apart my other unit this week. I will get it out to you all.

ZB_WJ 05-22-2013 06:27 PM

Ok. Sorry, looking forward to it!

scross1220 05-22-2013 06:47 PM

Promise

rdkendrick 01-17-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scross1220 (Post 15468187)
Promise

Still looking for the write-up. I want to know what LED part number you used in the climate control HU.
If you are just using Radio Shack standard LEDS with no socket, what size did you use?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

new2site 01-17-2014 04:09 PM

Thanks rdkendrick for bumping this...never would've saw it... I'm interested in doing this too...mine are as dim as can be right now..

rdkendrick 01-17-2014 05:57 PM

Yeah, I guess I will go to Radio Shack and see what kind of LED's they have. It sounds like the door switch is kind of time-consuming. I think I will just stick with the Climate Control for now. I've done the EVIC already. I tried my gauge cluster, but only got some of the individual bulbs done, because it's one of the white-faced gauge panels in an Overland.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

The time now is 06:28 PM.